Student LoansBudget & Finance

College Grant Advice

Are there any grants or scholarship available for those high school students applying for college who don't qualify under financial need criteria?

N.R. from Illinois

Contact the financial aid office of the school the graduate plans to attend and ask about scholarship opportunities. There are scholarships with all sorts of criteria. If the graduate does/did well on ACT or SAT tests there might be a scholarship for a score at or above a certain level. There might also be competitions (for example, writing or art), regional scholarships, or money available for children of veterans, just to name a few.

Good luck and congratulations to the high school graduate!

www.fastweb.com

A lot of local organizations have scholarships they offer. From your Jc's to you fire dept. often they are based on the application and not focused on grades or financial need. They are looking for future community service leaders. Your schools counselor should be able to direct you in the right directions

When my son was entering into collage I was determined to prove that there are cash grants that people didn't know about to help fund college for students. So here is what I did.

I started pulling things out of my grocery cupboard. Why you may ask? Well I searched out the 1 800 numbers and made some calls. I got a few laughs, and I got a few "I will have to ask" and a few shocked voices that said the following. "Yes" we do give out cash grants for college. Surprise! Even the workers didn't know until they asked!

Some of the companies run contest. They ask students to write an essay on what they are doing in life, and how they think further education will help them in there future etc...

Other companies may have other guide lines such as a parent working for there companie. Even some of the local non prophet groups give out collage money if the student lives with in so many miles of the non profit set up.

There are cash grants out there for collage but it takes time to seek them out. Don't limit your calls to the grocery labels, go all out to your favorite sneaker manufacturer. They may give out collage money for athletes etc... Large companies get tax breaks for giving to public service.

You never know what is out there untill you ask. When my son asked why I was pulling every thing out and making calls to ask about college money he laughed. He was also surprised to find out it was for real.