Dog Food Recommendations for Small Dogs

I have a new little puppy that will be a small dog when full grown. I would like to know what kind of dog food is best for small dogs. I have heard so many stories of supposedly big named dog foods being harmful to small dogs.

By PICO from St Paul, AB

My dogs eat Innova brand dry dog food and have since they were puppies. Their coats are shiny and they have lots of playful energy and have been very healthy. You can buy it at a pet store, a bit pricey, but well worth the cost.

Iams gave my dogs horrid skin problems. Bil-Jac turned rancid before date to use by. Am feeding all 7 rescue Shih Tzus 'Taste of the Wild' and they are thriving!

I use, now, Wellness Super5Mix for small dogs. I almost lost my youngest Pom to problems caused whenever he would eat Beneful healthy weight dog food. Seizures, weakness, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and other things. I found online numerous complaints about Beneful. Since switching, he is back to his old self.

No corn wheat or soy. For instance science diet is loaded with corn. All can cause allergies and poor health. Innova is a good product. A little yogurt once in a while. The kind with lots of natural opheluses. That's your probiotics. No grapes or raisins. They can Kill. Watch the fats. Borax (dry) in your carpets for flea control. Narural worming. Internet information is sometimes good. A warm clean place to sleep, and a lot of love.

Innova and Taste of the Wild are awesome for both cats and dogs (they each have their own varieties). Check with your local feed store or specialty pet store. Anything you find in Wally world, supermarket, drug store is not going to be a healthy long life food for your puppy. And yes a puppy variety is best, just like baby food is good for a baby but as they get older they eat "big" people food, same with dogs and cats.

May 20, 2012 Flag

We give our small dogs Beneful chicken and rice. Is this a good combo for good a healthy life? Also our Toy Poodle scratches most of the time and we give him a flea bath, but it doesn't seem to help. I don't seem to find fleas on him, but find them on our Cockapoo. Is there a product we can buy over the counter to help him stop scratching.

By Don S

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

They have a dog cortozone spray that works great. It could just have irritated skin because of the weather and season changes.

As for the food, ask the pet store. Not the grocery store. Just one flavor all the time? Do the packages indicate that there are different nutritional values provided for different flavors of food? They did for my cat.

As for the iching, "hiphophood" has it right. Cortizone spray.

Diamond lamb and rice at the livestock store. Never any Purina as it has usual first ingredient - corn. Corn is allergen and very hard to digest. Grocery store pet food is the poorest diet of all. Google how euthanized pets are now used and the poison they die with does not cook off.

Please no flea poison. It enters their liver and kidneys. Spread 20 mule team borax into carpets and their bedding. Leave for 2 weeks for flea life cycle. Good reports of yard defleaing with rock salt which claimed does not kill grass. No flea shampoo - poison. Bar soap left on couple of minutes, rinsed and then another little bath.

Love your pet. Please do not destroy their little immune system with vaccines. Build their immune system with some raw food, no poisons ( See list of anti-freeze, mercury, aluminum, fetal cells, pus, urine, dirt and lots of ugly.

Your dogs may have an allergy to the products in Beneful.

I would put your dogs on Blue Buffalo or Fromm kibble or wet dog food. Both start with MEAT as the primary ingredient. Fromm is grain free. While not as in expensive as Purina, Beneful, or Iams, they are much healthier for your dog. You will find their poops are smaller and their coats will have a richer shine. Since your dogs are small, you should be able to handle the increase in cost and know that you are giving them them best diet you can.

I have since switch my dachshunds to a raw meat diet. Not everyone can deal with that. If prepared food is your choice, go with Blue Buffalo and Fromm.

Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 12, 2009
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots