Removing Wax Build Up from Headlights

How can you get wax build up off plastic headlights?

By Debbie from Panama City, FL

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Deanj 917 01/25/2011

If it is wax any solvent would work available in any auto store or in the auto dept. of a big box store. However,I don't think you have a wax build up on the headlights but a natual yellowing of the plastic its self. You can get a product to restore the cloudy headlight lens made by 3M called a 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System. There may be other brands available as well. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job yourself I am sure your local body shop could help. Replacing the headlight lens from a auto dealer would be expensive unless you couls find new lens at a junk yard. Supposedly 3M has a video to view the product demonstration at www.shop3M.com

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Lilac 20 1,333 01/25/2011

It probably isn't wax buildup. The plastic headlight covers they put on cars instead of glass ones get stratches on them from dust and dirrt on the road. This looks like a film but it is really dammage. A body shop will buff the scratches out or you can replace the headlight covers. If it gets too bad your car may not pass your state inspection depending on how strict they are.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Jackie 32 04/04/2011

Get a can of rubbing compound from a parts store, make a paste and then rub it in, as you rub it will remove the yellowish color and then be clear. I have done this several times for my customers, it takes about five minutes to do. God bless you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No