Potholders From Fabric Scraps

I have a lot of fabric and a lot of scraps leftover from my projects so I decided to make some potholders from the scraps.I have not been able to master the binding that goes around the edge so I tried something different.

I cut some 2 1/2 inch strips (4 per square) and sewed each one to each straight edge (after quilting the square), folded down the end and sewed across it. For loops, I made some from the matching material or you can use bias binding that's been sewed together. These binding strips are cut into 5 inch pieces, fold one in half and insert into end of potholder and sew across.

You can use most anything to sandwich between the potholders, but I find old flat blankets or fleece at the thrift store work well. You can even use old clothes, the possibilities are endless!

I have made 100 or more so far and they are selling like hotcakes, can't make enough of them and they are very easy to make. Oh and these are cut into 9 inch squares.

Hope you enjoy making these potholders as much as I do.

By Marian from Danville, VA

I would love to see a picture of your potholders. I make potholders out of bar towels. Fold the towels in fourths and sew down the middle and along the edges.

The only thing I would advise when it comes to what you use to fill your quilted potholders would be that it NOT be too flammable, like old nylon stockings etc.

Sounds neat, but I don't really understand your directions - maybe I'm just dense! Can you include a picture?

Any chance you'd want my quilt scraps???

Editor's Note: We uploaded the picture.

Couldn't understand your directions. Pics looked nice, but couldn't tell from them what you did. sorry

Great idea and they look beautiful as well as functional! Where do you sell these? I have a ton of beautiful fabric scraps and would like to do the same! Thanks!!!!

Great job on your potholders!

I also have everyone requesting potholders from me all year long... even my baby brother! LOL... If you make a matching oven mitt, and maybe even an apron or grocery bag holder it makes a great "kitchen set" gift... but if you are trying to reduce scraps, one can never have too many lovely potholders!

A tip to those who are not skilled with basting/bias taping the edges... you can also sew the wrong sides together (layer your "filler", then your top piece, and then the back piece facing the wrong side out... and make sure to add a "loop" in the corner as well) sew along all 4 edges leaving a 1 inch opening. Flip the potholder rightside out and then stitch your opening shut. This is the method I first used to teach my daughter... we use 10 inch squares of fabric to make ours and either a strip of bias tape sewn shut or a strip of the matching material (folded similar to bias tape and stitched shut)...

Here's a set I made just tonight for my brother for Christmas... he is getting 4 different sets with 1 matching oven mitt for each!

I have decided to make "Panhandle Holders" for CHRISTmas and have a couple questions based on your Pot holders.

Do I need to use a "special" material to make them "heat resistant"???

Do I "stuff" them with a quilt batting or something?

Thanks and God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Making Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Crafts SewingNovember 12, 2007
Crocheted Pot Holder
Making Crocheted Potholders
Handmade Quilted Potholders
Homemade Potholders
Crafts Made With Potholders
Crafts Made With Potholders
Fabric Covered Card
Making Fabric Covered Cards
🎉
🎄