Place a Wet Washcloth on Neck To Stay Cool

I worked for years in a very hot environment. I found the best way to stay cool, is to buy new dish towels or hand towels. The reason I say buy some is the dish towels you already have might have a grease smell to them.

I would take a supply of them to work with me. Wet one and put it around your neck (I would wet mine out of the water fountain where it would be cold. Or get a glass of cold water and pour over it). When it dried out I would just rewet it. If it got dirty I would get a clean one.

Sometimes I would loan out one of my clean towels to someone who would forget to bring a towel with them.This also works great if your doing yard work or even having a yard sale.

All you have to after using it is throw it in the dirty clothes and wash, to use another time.

By Sharon from Vian, OK

Hello Sharon,

I had a good giggle from your post because I am wearing one now. I own a boarding facility in Turkey where the temperature is 104. If I don't have my towel; I am useless. Thank heavens for menapause. Love and Peace, Sharon

Have one here, too! Will also throw a dampened and wrung-out, clean hand towel or washcloth into a freezer bag, let it sit overnight so I have a frosty one in the morning.

We live in South Florida so it's pretty much an everyday thing here, and they defrost quickly.

I'll keep a couple of these in the freezer as they're also great for bringing fevers down or as cold compresses for sprains and other minor injuries ( instead of buying the pricier ones at the drugstore).

We also live in south Florida and this tip has probably saved our lives as we've been doing it for years now. I have some of the "less expensive" bath towels which are quite thin. Wetting them in ice water and wrapping them around the neck keeps the blood flowing to the brain a lot cooler and may even stop a person from having a heat stroke or

suffering from heat exhaustion. If your car's air-conditioning goes bye-bye, it'll make a long trip so much more comfortable to have that nice cool towel to wrap around your neck, wipe your face and generally keep you refreshed. We found that out this very summer.

A walk on the beach can be made even better if you have a cool wet towel around your neck. If it warms up, just shake it in the air for a few flips, and it'll cool off again enough to keep you happy.

Isn't this list just the greatest for sharing everything. I read every word of mine every day, and have learned so much.

Stay Cool Everyone.

Julia in Coconut Creek, FL

August 4, 2009 Flag

In today's ThriftyFun Tips, you asked for suggestions on keeping cool. When I go places out doors, I always carry a wash cloth with me. This I will wet and lay around the back of my neck. It keeps me cool for quite a while and I can always find a place to rewet it as needed. Also I am never without my trusty water bottle for drinking.

By Tupe from Tupelo, OK

Answers:

I read somewhere quite awhile back - that if you run cold water on the insides of your wrists you will cool down -- I have done this and it seems to work ! (07/19/2007)

By melody_yesterday

I can remember as a child/young person,my mother always had a wet wash cloth around her neck in the summer. I thought she was crazy then. I have since put on a "few"pounds and have actually used my Mom's remedy for keeping cool especially where there is no air conditioning. (07/19/2007)

By bjptl

I like that a lot better than the bandannas with gel crystals in them. My bandanna went moldy, seemed like it was only good for one use! A washcloth would stay a lot cleaner and be much easier to remoisten, no long soaking. Thanks! Good timing, mid summer! (07/20/2007)

By kimhis

Better Living Green Living CoolingAugust 7, 2009
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
A woman in a white t-shirt grabbing her sore neck.
Avoiding Neck Strain
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Making a Neck Pillow
Making a Neck Pillow
🎄