Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

I have a ring of burning bushes planted around my driveway. They do not turn the brilliant red that I had expected. They are healthy and green in summer but just don't turn red in the fall. They get full sun. Any ideas?

By Kaye from KY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Allison10/29/2010

I just saw a thread on this and their thoughts were that it needed more sun or was a different variety of euonymous. Another thought is to take a few leaves into a local nursery and see what they can tell you.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1031251/

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

By Ellen Brown

Question:

I have a Burning Bush that does not turn red in the fall. Any suggestions on how to make it turn red would be appreciated.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Thanks,
Sue from Hingham, MA

Answer:

Sue,

I've dealt with this problem myself in the past. I bought three Burning Bushes several years ago and planted them on the north side of my house. They were young shrubs when I purchased them, around 12-15 inches high, and I could hardly wait for them to turn red in the fall. It never happened. Some of the leaves developed a slightly red tinge to them, but I never got them to produce the brilliant red color I was hoping for. Despite the fact they were on the north side of the house, I felt they were getting ample amounts of sun in the location they were planted. Apparently I was wrong.

Two years ago I moved them to full sun on the south side of my house. I applied mulch around the base of each shrub and watered them regularly, but never fertilized them. The first fall after I moved them the leaves turned a dull red again, and it was quite late in the fall before I saw any color. It may have been weather related. This past fall they finally turned the brilliant color I was hoping for. They also produced tiny orange-red berries and they've nearly doubled in height. I would advise you to take a good look at their sun exposure. Are any nearby trees or buildings casting a shadow on them for even part of the day? All day sun will get you the best color.

Ellen Brown

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

RE: Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

Burning Bush (Euonymus Alatus) need sun to turn red in the fall. If it is not out in full sun, I would transplant it to a sunny location this fall. (10/09/2006)

By Chris

Archive: Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

I have a burning Bush that is planted in full sun. It has never been fertilized, but it is very healthy looking. I'm disappointed that it has never turned red in the fall. Please give me any suggestions as to what I should do. Thank you.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By 8330kjs from Owensboro, KY

Archive: Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

My burning bush is in full sun. It has never turned red. I planted it approximately 8 yrs ago. The ground is primarily sand. Does it need a certain fertilizer? I have pruned the ends in spring. Does it need acidic soil? Alkaline soil?

What can I do with it? I see others in the area that are fully red every year.

By Louise from northern WI

RE: Burning Bush Does Not Turn Red

Call your local county extension office and ask your questions to a master gardener who is located in your area. These folks are fantastic and a wonderful resource! (09/24/2010)

By MzScarlett