Tips for Dealing with Spam

I use Outlook Express, and I am suddenly being invaded by junk mail soliciting either refinancing, stocks et. I did not have this before, I am replying to them to stop but some are returning as undelivered. We have Norton, Antispyware, etc.

Please help!

Ana from Pembroke Pines, Florida

For a free spam remover, ask your ISP (internet service provider) to suggest one. They know the best ones that are free. If you love it, you can buy it, but it's usually not necessary. Most ISP's are very helpful with little tips that make your relationship with your computer much smoother. If nothing works, buy those sponge bricks, and you know what to do from there.

By Ardis Ilene Barnes

I use adaware, its a free download from lavasoft....I ran it on my aging old computer and it found 600+ spams....now you'd never know the computer is 5 years old! ( http://www.lavasoft.com )

Someone mentioned ...

This is a very good program, however, this is for "tracking cookies" Lavasoft calls them "web bugs" and it does help, but does not take care of all SPAM.

I use Lavasoft and scan my computer several times a day for tracking cookies and delete them. It's a maintenance thing!

I find that using "message rules" in Outlook Express works quite well for me. I set up folders and my designated emails go direct to the folders in Outlook Express ... most of what is in my "inbox" is spam. I do a quick look to make sure a good email is not there, then just highlight everything in the inbox and delete.

It is rather easy to set up. There is always Windows books to refer to.

Changing your e-mail address once in a while is a good idea. In fact, I have found that using a different name and e-mail address for certain types of sites is safer than using the same name and address and password for everything. It cuts down on the danger of ID theft. And it sure cuts down on the junk email.

By Ardis Barnes

I have one email address that I do not get any spam in because I only give that address out to certain companies like credit card or the bank. I use another email address for newsletters and contests. I know I am going to get spam in those, but I have a great spam filter.

Ana, all the advice you've received so far is good. One more thing -- you have inadvertently made a BIG mistake. You've replied to the spam messages. When you reply in any way, even by hitting the "unsubscribe" button, you are telling the spammers that your e-mail is current and legitimate. Therefore, they sell your e-mail to MORE spammers who send you MORE spam, etc etc etc.

Believe me -- I am the voice of experience. :-(

It's a sick world, to be sure. Good luck with your new address.

I have had the same problem lately...I do have Norton Spam blocker on my computer and that eliminates a lot of them, and I do use the block sender feature. I thought it was NOT a good idea to respond to them so they cannot identify your computer?

It's a bad idea to respond to spam. The spammer now knows it's a good email addy and you will get even more spam. Best thing is to just delete it all, unread.

Only friends and relatives have my real email addy and I don't get any spam. I use a freebie email account for any online registrations, account contacts, etc.

We get this junk also. I go to "Messages" at the top and click on "Block Sender" this will stop this particular sender although more will arise. I just keep blocking. Maybe they aren't getting the message but neither and I getting "their" emails. Please don't reply to spam, this only makes it worse and they gain more information about you than you care to give.

I too had that problem but downloaded Stop-Sign spyware and virus program and it's the best I've ever used. It allows you to block further email, should it slip through, right on your email program. There is a "block/allow" panel and you just drag the email to there and it blocks further attempts.

I will say I have rarely had to even use that since it stops mass mailings, finds and isolates virus emails, stops pop-up, etc. Can you tell I really love the program!

Go to google and type in

housecall

it's free and is wonderful for finding spyware that the other companies can't. You will have to re-download it everytime you use it unless you buy the product.

Also, put your computer in Safety Mode and run an anti-spyware program. You might find a few of those programs lurking there (a computer professional told me to do this).

Message Rules is Free:

Computers SpamJanuary 15, 2006
can of spam
Recipes Using Spam
Junk Mail or Email Spam
Preventing Junk Mail or Email Spam
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
IRS Audit
Dealing With an IRS Audit
🎉
🎄