Sneaking Veggies Into Ground Beef

I'm constantly trying to sneak more veggies in to our meals and found a good tip. Whenever I have a dinner with ground beef (tacos, burgers, meat loaf, sloppy joes, chili etc) I shred a zucchini into the meat. If your kids are really turned off when they see the green peel, just peel it before you shred it. This works especially well in tacos and sloppy joes or anything with a sauce because the zucchini just soaks up the color and flavor of the sauce and you really can't tell that it's there.

To make this tip even quicker, a few times a month I buy a bunch of zucchini and shred it and put it in ziplocks and put them in the freezer, then I just have to toss it into whatever I'm cooking and, without even trying, I get another serving of veggies in. It is also good for stretching these recipes without having to add more meat.

By Miss Jen from Provo, UT

A woman after my own heart! I am a firm believer in "nourishment in disguise". When my 30 year old was little I made his pancakes with 2 scrambled eggs and a little flour thrown in... They came out so fluffy and nice. If you beat 2 eggs and put in about a fourth cup of flour they can be spooned onto the griddle and will flip perfectly. Use syrup sparingly and you have protein to start the day. Thanks for sharing your tip.

You can sneak a lot of stuff into ground beef. I put rice (brown) in my meatloaf. I make "monster burgers" once a week and feed them to my teenage girls who think they are the bomb! They have flaxseed (very good for you) oatmeal and any kind of bean mixed in with a pkg of onion soup mix for flavor and an egg (you want to be careful how much you use or it'll come out like paste) I actually bake these, put a slice of cheddar on and its a meal for 6 or 7 people with no sides because the burgers fill everyone up, for one lb of gr beef.

I used to make zucchini bread, following directions. Boys thought the green peeling was disgusting and wouldn't eat. So, peeled and baked. They loved it.

Jessica Seinfeld, Jerry's wife has just written a book about this. She keeps packets of pureed vegs. in the frig & adds to EVERYTHING from dishes to muffins. Once pureed the color is disguised & 'those horrid vegetables' are introduced into the dish & consumed...a win-win situation.

I love and use the shredded zucchini trick but I also use shredded carrots. I toss into my spaghetti sauces and anywhere else I can think of and get away with it! (I like the slight crunch from them but if you don't want any, saute them first.)

I've done this forever, it seems, especially with homemade spaghetti, soups, casseroles, and meatballs/ pizzas/ and even adding fruits in some special cases. Don't get persuaded by ads to add Whey, Soy, Gluten to things, though. Dr. Mercola, of Mercola.com, STRONGLY recommends against all soy consumption, from foods/drinks to vitamins, as additives, because he says it has been discovered that soy prevents nutrients from being absorbed by the body. He is so knowledgable in many things, explaining in detail how the research and findings are discovered that I trust his judgment in a lot of areas. Such things are more like a surplus in the U.S., and are being sold as good for us when they are not! Much of the gluten used in America has been imported from China who admitted to having shredded Melamine Plastic Plates and products up and sold them as "Gluten" when it can KILL. Wheat is the most common source of gluten, which I understands is responsible for much of our belly fat, so hard to get rid of. Although Dr. Mercola recommends Whey, I am lactose intolerant to a great degree and it being the GLUE part of milk, it literally stops up my sinuses if I eat/drink more than a very tiny amount in anything. Because I cannot tell how much is in anything, I avoid it like the plague and NEVER have a sinus blockage. God bless you. : )

Here's a trick I read on another site for when you have surplus zucchini from the garden: Peel it and toss it in a blender to make a puree--zucchini milk. Freeze it and use in place of milk or water in recipes. You cannot tell the difference. I like to make ice cubes then put them in large ziplock bags, so I can take out as many as I need for a recipe.

Only caution here, I would think, is not to use things in ground beef that suck up the fat. My Mom made it with oatmeal when I was growing up, everyone did, but now we know that the oatmeal ensures that you eat lots more of the fat that would have dripped out. I don't know how to tell what would absorb fat and what wouldn't. How about a blendered fruit soup served hot with hidden veggies?

I have 3 veggie lovin' kids. You don't have to sneak them. Don't have junk around, at snack or dinner if they are hungry they'll eat and love vegetables. My 3 yr old son LOVEs Broc. he just dips it in ranch. There are so many to choose from, make it a game..veggie taste test. Also one of my daughters loves cucumbers and onions but only w/rice vinegar and olive oil. God bless!

Parenting General Parenting The Family KitchenNovember 27, 2007
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Ground Beef Casserole
Ground Beef Casserole Recipes
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Ground Turkey Burgers on Grill
Cooking with Ground Turkey
🎉
🎄