Earth Day Website

Earth Day is on Sunday, April 22nd so this is a great time to teach kids about conservation, recycling and other green topics. Here is a government website that has some wonderful information for kids and adults.

I'm hoping to have a discussion with my young boys and decide together on something that we can do to help the planet. One I have already started is to bring my own bags to the supermarket instead of using paper OR plastic.

Jess in Portland, OR

We've tried to make a point of taking our own bags when shopping. If we don't, then we always ask for paper instead of plastic.

As for reusable bags, almost all grocery store chains now have them available for purchase with their store logo on them. Chains such as Whole Foods offer them for .99, and they're sturdy, light, and made to be reused over and over again. I also have some heavy duty canvas bags from a small town grocer that hold a lot, and can be washed when needed.

For those who take issue with 'buying' reusable bags (I know some people who do), making them is pretty easy. There are free patterns available all over the web.

During the summer months I often visit local produce farms (because I like to cook in season), and I always take a large basket instead of using the available plastic bags that they offer.

It's wonderful that you have decided to use cloth bags instead of plastic for groceries, but why not go a step farther and use cloth bags for ALL your purchases? I usually hang an empty cloth tote bag on my shoulder (along with my purse) wherever I go.

Earth in Human Hands
Celebrating Earth Day
EcologicalApril 16, 2007
A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Crafts for Earth Day
Crafts for Earth Day
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business