CatsPets

My Cat is Pooping Outside of the Box!

My 1 year old cat will not stop pooping on my wooden floor. He poops right in front of the litter box too. I need help! Any suggestions? I took his poops to the vet and they said there is nothing wrong.

By Lana from Des Plaines, IL

Is the litter pan large enough for your cat? Same thing happened with my cat, but getting a bigger litter pan solved the problem.

Also, make sure the litter is clean and dry. Scoop out the 'lumps' at least once a day.

Our kitty was more than a year old and would poop in front of her litter box if there was any poop left in the box for even one day. She was very picky about it being clean. Since I was home all the time it was up to me to make sure that her litter box was always clean for her. We had a large plastic box and kept it beside the toilet so we would see and remember to clean it every time we went to the bathroom.

We had 2 problems at the same time to solve when this happened to us. Right outside the box, for us, meant that the litter was "ICKY" for the cat, either the smell or the feel of it. I kept 2 boxes of litter with different kinds of litter in them until my cat used one of them. Then I used that litter. My cat had GI problems and it was as close to inside as he could get. Both problems came at about the same time.

Cats are not vengeful creatures. They are trying to communicate with you. I used puppy pads all around the box until I could figure out which litter to use. He happily used the puppy pad, until I got it right. He got medicine for his cramps and I finally found the littler that was right for him.

I have three indoor cats and five litter trays which are cleaned out daily - sometimes twice once in the morning and once at night. Cats like their toilets to be clean just like us. My middle girl was peeing outside the box. I watched carefully and realised the box wasn't right for her.

I have three different size boxes and two different styles. Maybe you need to experiment a little. Also I know it can be a custom in USA to declaw and if this has happenend to your cat then a soft style of kittly litter may be needed