AdviceCrafts

Fabric Wrapped Hangers

My grandmother, in Minnesota, use to wrap wire hangers with material approx. 1 in. wide, kind of in knots or a braid. Unfortunately I was not able to learn this craft from her. She's gone now and I was wondering if any one knows how to do this craft. Thanks.

Paula from Perryville, MO

Hi - I used to wrap with yarn but I suppose you could use fabric. Put two or three wire hangers together, and tie them at the bottom of the hook with the fabric/yarn, then going down one side, wrap the fabric around - holding the top of the loop up a bit and simply pass the end of fabric trough the loop you are holding. Then tighten and move on to the next wrap. As you tighten each one snug it up close to the previous loop. If you don't like the knots on the outside, wrap to the bottom, so that the knots will be on the inside. I don't know if this is comprehensive enough, but it could get you started.

These sites should be of help as well

http://www.ehow  coat-hanger.html

http://www.hous  ep_1_120022.html\

Cut or rip old sheets or clothing. that does not have any color that might bleed, into narrow strips. Glue three of them onto the hook stem and let the glue dry. Then braid the three ribbons over the wire. Shorter ribbons will speed up the braiding tremendously. You can always sew or speed-sew on the next length. Have FUN! DearWebby

Prometheus is being modest!! What she described is basically called finger crochet. You can crochet with your finger, if the yarn or fabric strip is wide or thick enough. You simply start the first loop like you do with a hook, and put your index finger through it, hook the yarn or fabric, and bring it back through!

Here's another cool thing that I have done. I get two or three strands of scrap yarn, and crochet a chain. I just crochet till I have no more energy, then put it down and keep going some other time, etc.

This chain makes "hot pads" by circling it on a piece of heavy felt and cool gluing it, making rugs, etc.

You can even "crochet the chain" as if it were a strand of yarn, but if you do that, you might want to stay with just one strand. They make hooks the size of your finger called "Q" hooks and they are wonderful to work with.

So, I take the chain from the base and cool glue it to the bottom of the hangers "hanger". I never cover those, as sometimes that makes the hanger not fit on a fatter closet rod.

Then, I simply start wrapping the "chain" around the hanger, glueing it every 1" or so. If you have the chain wound in a ball it's easier to work with.

The best thing about this chain is, when you are done, simply give yourself about 2" and cut it, then simply pull the tail tight and tuck or glue it in. If you find that is too long, UNDO one chain stitch and try it then.

The result is a neat quilted hanger that you don't have to sew.