Making a Fruit Fly "Trap"

Getting rid of fruit flies. First get a plastic grocery bag. Put the rotting fruit in the bottom of the bag. Set it on the counter fully open at the top with the sides pulled up. This is so the flies will go down to the bottom of the bag.

Wait about 15 minutes or so and then quickly shut the bag trapping the flies inside. Take the bag outside and let them loose. I had to do this three times as they are fast little buggers.

By elizabethgb7 from Bremerton, WA

Let them loose? Girl after my own heart. Everything has a right to live. Marg from England

I'm not so sentimental so I float the "heel" of an orange or lemon in a small wide-mouthed jar in water with a drop of dish detergent. I push the heel into the water to cover although it will rise to the surface. The flies go after the fruit and drown. There is no surface tension on the water because of the detergent. This came about the result of my experimenting with many methods that ultimately didn't work very well.

October 26, 2009 Flag

There is an easy and very inexpensive way to rid your home of fruit flies. Simply build a fruit fly trap. All you need to build a fruit fly trap is a banana or two, a knife, some cling wrap or similar plastic wrap, a few rubber bands, and old plastic jars or bowls that can be thrown away after use.

Using an empty mayonnaise jar, plastic butter bowl, or plastic lunch meat container will work. Don't use any container that you want to keep. Be sure the container is deep enough to hold a few slices of banana.

After you have your necessary supplies together, simply slice up the bananas and divide the slices into several containers. Place the cling wrap or other plastic wrapping tightly over the opening of the jar or bowl, and place a rubber band around it to hold it snugly in place.

Using the knife's point, poke a few tiny holes into the plastic wrap. Make them very tiny. The fruit flies can get in, but once in, they can't get out. You now have fruit fly traps that will trap the fruit flies and remove them from your home.

By Mythi from Poulsbo, WA

July 14, 2009 Flag

It's that time of year when fruit flies can be a problem to get rid of. Recently when an old banana attracted them I had a "light bulb" moment.

Take any kind of container with a lid, place a piece of rotten fruit inside, let sit for awhile, when the flies are inside on fruit put lid on, throw away or take outside to empty. Works every time.

By Peggy from Cortland, Ohio

Making a Fruit Fly "Trap"

Another suggestion, that I've had luck with. Take an empty cottage cheese container - punch a small hold, about the size of 1/2 the size of a pencil in the top. In the carton put about 1/4 inch of cider vinegar and about a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap on top and mix just a little. The vinegar ( like the banana ) calls the flies. They eat the soap with it and drown. Every few days,flush the contents or throw out the whole carton and do a fresh carton. (06/06/2008)

By tejas

Making a Fruit Fly "Trap"

A small jar with an inch of apple cider vinegar attracts and kills them naturally. (06/06/2008)

By Adele

Making a Fruit Fly "Trap"

I am the star of my whole family with my fruit fly concoction. I found it on ThriftyFun and wasn't sure it would work but tried it because those things were driving me nuts! It's the one with vinegar, sugar and dish soap.

Thanks forever from the bottom of my heart! (06/06/2008)

By MartyD

fruit flies in trap
Making a Fruit Fly Trap
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesOctober 26, 2009
Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
baby skunk and wildflowers
Removing a Skunk from a Live Trap
Leprechaun Trap
Leprechaun Trap Cake
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper