Central Air Conditioner Reviews

My husband and I are in the market for a new heat pump/air conditioner unit (central unit). We have four estimates and they are all for different brands: Lennox, Trane, Carrier, and American Standard. I can't find any worthwhile reviews online, so I thought I'd ask the fine readers of ThriftyFun if you have any reviews or suggestions from your own air conditioner experience. Any reviews are greatly appreciated! Thanks .

By Kathy from SD

Carrier Brand is an excellent choice. We have a central unit and are considering adding a large air conditioner unit to our central heating/air system because the heat pump/compressor is used constant and the compressor only has a year's guarantee and costs $1.000. to replace. It will give a rest to the heat pump/compressor for a few months out of the year by doing this. I was told the heat pump is good for about ten years wear.

There was a trane here when we bought the house and it lasted MANY years so we replaced it with a new trane. The first one was still working but the metal was rusting and it wasn't energy efficient. It just wouldn't lay down and die!

We have a Trane that is made by American Standard. ( I know because my husband worked for Amer. Std) We have had it a LOT of years now and have never had one problem with it. We did a lot of checking around before we bought this one and this was the best one we thought out of all of them. Good luck on your decision.

We had a Lennox for over forty years which still passed the Gas Company checkups, but I was concerned about potential problems. I had a few estimates and chose the Lennox because of my past experience. I had to have the old asbestos pipes removed which was a separate expense. Otherwise, the prices were close but very expensive. I have found my utility bills are much lower. Check out about efficiency rebates. Good, reliable installation is very important. So far so good.

Heat pumps are only efficient (and don't need a back up heat source) until 30 degrees F. Once it drops below that temp (in northern climes), it loses its' efficiency - making them better suited to warmer climates.

You might want to consider a Hallowell Acadia Heat Pump (heat AND air conditioning). It operates efficiently even at minus 30 degrees F.

It operates VERY efficiently and you may even qualify for the tax credit (up t $1500, I believe).

Central Air Conditioner
Central Air Conditioner Reviews
Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and HomeJune 23, 2009
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Window Air Conditioner
Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Madison, WI capital building
South Central Wisconsin Frugal Travel Guide
🎄