Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Smoke Stains from Microwave

How can I clean a smoke stain from the inner metal surface of my Maytag microwave? I burned a Sonic hamburger wrapped in its foil bag. What a mess!

By jfont13

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Smoke Stains from Microwave

How do I get smoke stains out of my microwave? Thanks.

Kathy

RE: Removing Smoke Stains form Microwave

Combine one and half cups water, one cup lemon juice, and a squirt of dish washing liquid in a glass dish or bowl. Microwave this mixture on high for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the bowl, then working quickly, wipe the interior of the microwave with a clean sponge. If this does not get all of the smoke stains off the interior of the machine, rub a paste made of baking soda, dish soap, and water on the stains, buff until they are gone. Good luck. (06/03/2010)

By tracesof

I use this cleaner for all problems in the microwave. I put some lemon wedges (if you have older lemons this a good way to use them) in some water along with baking soda. Set the microwave so that the water boils and leave it in there for about a half an hour (after it has boiled). The steam gets every stain out that I've ever had, though I'm not sure I've ever had a smoke stain in there. But it can't hurt to try right? Just wipe the inside out after the half hour. I used to clean houses and this even works when someone (obviously) heated spaghetti sauce uncovered in the microwave days earlier. It's a breeze to clean. (06/03/2010)

By patioelf