What is this plant? (Pleomele relexa "Song of Jamaica")

Question:

I have a large plant that I wanted to identify. I thought it might be some kind of Dracaena? What is it?

Mary from Long Valley, NJ

Answer:

Mary,

I can't be absolutely certain, but from the picture you submitted, this plant looks like a Pleomele relexa "Song of Jamaica" to me. As you suspected, 'Song of Jamaica' is a member of the Dracaena family. There are two very similar varieties - 'Song of India' and the 'Malaysian Dracaena.' The first has variegated leaves and the second more spiked - shaped leaves. All are easy - to - care for houseplants originally native to Madagascar and the Solomon Islands. Care instructions for these houseplants are simple. Give them normal indoor temps (protect them from cold), access to decent light, water them once every two weeks or so, and provide them with a liquid fertilizer periodically during the active growing months (April - September). Although they prefer higher humidity, they are tolerant of drier air. The one thing Dracaenas are susceptible to is root rot, so water them carefully and use a light soil that drains well. Yours looks like it is doing wonderfully!

Ellen

Answers

This is a Song of India or botanical known as Pleomele Reflexa.It also comes in a variegated variety also.