Shower Has an Onion Smell

When I use my shower, it smells like onions - not rotten onions, just onions. I rent my place. It was probably built about 1940 and has not been updated. Does anyone know why this is and what I can do about it?
Thanks!

K. from Davis, CA

Best Answer

Pour baking soda in the drain and heat vinegar and pour it in; removes odors and sometimes clogs. Also, there is a product called Odo-Ban, Sam's and Walmart carry it. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Does your water come from a ground source? If so, and you don't get enough rain it can cause that onion smell. It happens a lot here and there's nothing you can do but wait it out.

The odor is probably coming up from the shower drain. My shower has a round screen that collects hair from going down the drain. I recently cleaned out my drain by removing the screen, and still found chunks of hair inside the drain.

You just might have to clean out the drain. If it's impossible to do so, report the problem to your landlord and let him fix it. That's what you pay rent for.

Try washing the shower curtain/door with some vinegar.

My drain does that some times, and I pour bleach and pinesol down the drain ever day until the oder is gone.

Dude, close your bathroom door when you cook onions the night before! Trust me. I take it your on one floor and you also have one of the material curtains opposed to a vinyl one? Mine stinks after I've been frying up! Stick it in the washer and keep that door shut! Don't ask me why it happens coz I'm baffled! but it really bloody stinks, real strong!

I agree with the first answer. I opened this question to confirm my suspicions. I get that really strong onion smell in my shower every time I cook onions and only then. And then I get to work and my skin smells like onions and garlic. I live on a single floor as well.

It's possible you've got problems with hot water heater or something, but most likely its the straight up onions! It only takes a tiny onion to do it.

I don't actually mind the smell that much, but I don't want to smell it all day haha!

walkin shower drain
Shower Has an Onion Smell
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomNovember 16, 2007
beautiful lawn
Getting Rid of Onion Grass
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
🎄