Canning Minestrone Soup - Categories:

CanningFood and Recipes

Canning Minestrone Soup

I have made minestrone soup and canned it. I have found that when I open the bottles, the minestrone has an off-flavor. I have eaten the soup anyway with no consequences. What I would like to know is what is causing this off-flavor? Is it a certain vegetable or the way I can the soup?

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Are you following a recipe from a current canning book? If not, you could be risking your life. Go to http://www and at the bottom of the page click "contact us" and email Ball with your inquiry. I wouldn't eat any more of the soup until then.

If you've followed safe canning instructions but onions are part of your recipe, overcooked onions might be giving off the less than great flavor. I've cooked onions in recipes in a crock pot and a pressure cooker, and they just didn't taste right. Or maybe overcooked cabbage? Try it without those veggies for canning and add them fresh (browned onions or steamed cabbage) once the jar is opened for serving. Hope this helps.

Food and Recipes CanningOctober 7, 2008
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
A cup of hearty minestrone soup.
Minestrone Soup Recipes
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries