Nipping Problem

My 2 and a half year old female Pit Bull keeps nipping at everyone no matter what I say to her. She wags her tail and pretends to be nice and then breaks bad. She was 5 months old when I rescued her from a place that fights Pit Bulls.

Will she ever be normal? Help.

By Theresa from Cocoa, FL

Please get her to petco or petsmart for obedience class. They are said not to be to expensive at all. She actually thinks it's playful and I'm sure it is in her way but playfulness needs to be controlled because when she gets bigger she will still think she is playing and not realize her strength. and those people who raise fighting pit bulls need to be shot.

If you got her from a place that fights pits, then you need professional help to train her. The classes at PetSmart or PetCo might be enough but I doubt it. Call a professional trainer and ask their advice. She'll probably turn out to be a great dog for you, but she needs the specialized training to "un-train" what the breeder had trained into her, both with his training and her watching what was happening around her. It's going to take a lot of time and patience, and a lot of training and consistency, but I'd lay odds you've got yourself a very good dog.

February 14, 2010 Flag

I have a 3 year old miniature Pinscher named Rocket. He has a serious nipping problem. Whenever you try to pet him he'll try to bite your hand. Whenever he's about to be picked up he gets very defensive and he'll run away or bite. I've tried classes, spraying water, verbal cues, I've tried everything. It never stops. I've tried to use a muzzle thing, but he won't let me get it on him. I'm considering taking him to a dog hypnotist. I'll try anything.

Alyson D. from FairfaxVA

Answers:

Nipping Problem

If you haven't already done so, check with your vet to make sure there isn't something physically wrong. If not, then see if you can get through to the radio program "Calling All Pets" (look up their website for more info). Dr. Patricia McConnell is an animal behaviorist and deals with this type of thing all the time. Free advice that might work. Good luck. (09/03/2005)

By Nancy

Nipping Problem

I think a clue is your comment that "he won't let me get it on him" with regard to the muzzle idea. He needs to know that you are firmly in command, the alpha dog, so to speak. If you are afraid of him and can't put it on, or if you give in to him and won't put it on, then you aren't playing the correct "leader of the pack" role.

I also wouldn't chose the muzzle as an answer, I just use it as an example of where you are coming from in your relationship with him. I agree that calling into the radio program may give you some pointers. There are also many good books available at the library or book store that can give you excellent ideas on how to gain control of your dog and handle behavior such as you describe.

Once the dog realizes you are his master, then any action you take to correct the behavior will be more successful. Just remember that this dog's mother wouldn't put up with this behavior from any of her pups, and you are now in charge of corrections of bad behavior in her place. Best of luck to both of you. (09/03/2005)

By bbb

Nipping Problem

My Mom has 2 Dachshunds, one of whom will nip at you when we pick her up. I just hold her close and say "no" or "ehh ehh" and kiss her and then she is fine. But she doesn't particularly like to be held, but just a minute. Dogs have likes and dislikes too and we need to respect that. (09/07/2005)

By suzi homemaker

Pets Dogs Training AdviceFebruary 14, 2010
Man Pointing at Brake Rotor
Fixing Squeaky Brakes
Plumber fixing a leaky faucet.
Fixing Leaky Faucets
Closeup of hen and chicks.
Choosing the Right Groundcover
Silverfish on White Background
Getting Rid of Silverfish
🎄
🍂