Recipes Using Stale Rolls

What can one do with older rolls that are getting hard yet not moldy? I would like to make something yummy, but will give them to the birds if I must.

Laura from Concord, NH

I wrap them in a damp paper towel and micro for about 10 seconds for 2 rolls. This softens them up.

You can make croutons or breadcrumbs from any stale bread. Sometimes I will freeze them a little at a time until I can make a big batch.

I just cut them into small cubes and lay them on a cookie sheet or shallow baking pan with sides. Add some oil, salt and spices to your liking. I have used garlic, freshly ground pepper, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, thyme, etc. and they have all been good. I used to make them with butter or flavored oils but that was before I was watching calories :) I now use a drizzle of olive oil or a few sprays of Pam or other spray oil. Bake at 350 degrees F. until nicely browned, stirring every 10 minutes or so to avoid burning. You can always cook on a lower heat (250 degrees F) for longer. Let them cool and put them in a container to keep them fresh.

This is a great way to use up the bakery bread that gets too stale, the ends of the loaf that no one wants to use as a sandwich. The softer the bread, the more drying you may want in advance, so one type doesn't dry faster than the other. Rolls should be probably cooked using the longer, low heat method, so they get crunchy.

Or just make breadcrumbs using your food processor. You can keep them in the freezer until you need them to avoid any molding issues. If you get them dry enough, mold shouldn't be much of a concern.

Depends on the type of rolls you are talking about. If they are dinner rolls not sliced rolls then what about making them into a soup bowl, even if they are small.

Cut the edges off, cut into "fingers" and make french toast sticks.

Make bread stuffing out of them, or even a bread pudding. Hope this helps!

Thank you! I used a couple of the rolls, sliced down into 4 pieces, buttered and topped with garlic, better and cheaper than Texas Toast.

I will take the remaining and make some croutons. Thank you so much for your ideas!

I've never made bread bowls, but will look for those type rolls to do that in the future. Bread crumbs I had made plenty of previously.

If you'll believe it, my mom used to talk about when she was a nun (yes, really), they used to take stale rolls and make fausnaughts with them for Mardi Gras. I'm a little sketchy on the details but she said that she would scrape the crust off of the roll, roll it in egg and fry them, and then sprinkle them with powdered sugar.

I can go back to her and get the real directions if anyone's interested.

Corene...I think that would be a great addition to ideas for this. Thank you.

Slightly stale bread makes wonderful french toast. You'll love it!

I use my stale bread to make bread pudding! Great for a winter dessert!

I put them in my blender or food processor and use as bread crumbs. (I do this with cereal too - corn flakes especially.) You could slice them thin, put a little olive oil, garlic and toast them using them as crackers for dips.

Cut into cubes, season, use for croutons. My fav: Put in bowl, top onion soup and cheese under broiler for a few and viola. =)

They make terrific soup bowls. Try pouring French Onion soup into a scooped out hard bun, float the scooped out bread on top, shred cheese on top and broil for a few minutes to melt and slightly brown the cheese...mm. The birds can have the left overs, if there are any!

I checked with mom on the fausnaught thing.

She said that you scrape the crust off of the rolls and safe the scrapings. Then you roll the roll in beaten eggs that have been very slightly thinned with a few teaspoons of water. Then take the roll and roll it back in the crust crumbs. Deep fry 2-3 minutes. When you take them out, drain on paper towel and sprinkle heavily (or roll in) with powdered sugar, Eat before Ash Wednesday (lol)

Thank You Corene, I will try these. Thank your mom too. I googled fausnaught and learned a lot.GG Vi

Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceFebruary 18, 2009
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Stale Bread
Freshening Stale Bread
🎉
🎄