Use Kitty Litter Bucket for Kitchen Compost

I always wanted to compost so a kitchen composter was easiest to start with but expensive. I noticed our kitty litter container (hard plastic) was a purrrfect size and has a lid and handle. It fits under the sink and has been working great.

By krisanthemum from Pataskala, OH

I use these buckets to store rain water in. I have them sitting around all area's and they are really handy instead of dragging the garden hose around. I have several big buckets around the house and just fill the other ones up.

Excellent idea. One will fit perfectly in the cabinet under the sink. Yay!

Good use for those buckets. So is the idea from 10CatGirl and her rainwater buckets.

Thank you both for sharing.

These are both great ideas. I've saved a couple trying to figure out how to use! Now, I need a good compost recipe. I just started a garden in outside planters.

I use the litter buckets to grow my tomatoes. I drilled holes in the bottom, covered the inside bottom with coffee filters to keep the soil in, and planted patio tomatoes in them. Easy to carry around to follow the sun, bigger pot= bigger tomato crop. I also use the buckets for compost and also for when I buy topsoil from the local nursery. They know how many shovels full is a bushel, and they fill the buckets for me to that amount. Easier for me to carry the soil to where I want it.

I also just started composting and I use a large plastic coffee can which also fits under the cupboard where I keep my trash can. Only thing is, it's just me, so I don't have that much to throw out. I even quit drinking coffee, so no grounds to use either.

Compost Bucket Ideas
Compost Bucket Ideas
Better Living Green Living GardeningJune 8, 2010
Kitty Litter Substitute
Kitty Litter Substitutes
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Black cat in a litter box.
Kitty Litter Tips and Tricks
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter