Painted Envelopes

Maybe this will inspire some of you painters out there for next Christmas, I always paint the envelopes of my Christmas cards, this is what I did for this last Christmas, I have been doing this for about 6 years, it is fun to come up with something new every year.

By Phyllis Powell (Originally Published 1/30/2005)

Great idea. Your envelopes look so nice

and festive. I'll remember this and may use it

on envelopes for Birthdays etc as well.

Thanks Phyllis,

Julia in Orlando, FL

Very very cute. You have talent!

Very pretty and good job.

That is such a neat idea! Do you put something inside the envelope to keep the paint from going through? Tina

My goodness! I just had to write you to say what a labor of love your Christmas envelopes are. Anyone would feel proud to receive your Christmas greeting!!

Thank you for all the good feedback. I am new on this website so hope this got to all the people who responded to my envelopes. I do not put anything inside the evelope before I paint them, I also do the back of the envelope , I have people who I sent card's to that say they have saved every envelope that I have done so that makes me feel good, if any body has a good idea for next years envelope I am open to any idea's..You can e-mail me at rppowell56@charter.net

Hi , could you please tell me the type of paint and medium you are using? Oil paints didn't work very well when I tried it in a class 15 years ago. The medium turned the card stock an off color.This photo shows how badly they turned out. When they were dry they looked greasy. Thanks for any help you can give. Vi

go to your local craft store and buy acrylic paint for tole painting. It comes in many colours and are in small squeeze bottles. It dries fast, won't stain your envelope and you use water for cleanup of brushes. Just DON'T get it on your clothes, it won't come off.

I have always used acrylic paint to do my envelopes, and I do them for birthdays also, like to paint roses on the envelopes for special occasions, the possibilties are endless....

Loved your work! I, however, am somewhat lazy and believe in taking a shortcut if I can. I do special envelopes for my christmas cards, birthdays, weddings, etc., but they are made from old calendar photos. I buy the large calendars so I'll have plenty of paper to do all my folding. As you know, calendars have wonderful, professional photos in them. I just save the old ones and use them as I need them. My friends always know when they are getting a card or letter from me! And, they just love them. I bought a template from one of the home shopping tv shows years ago and I do use it. They have losts of sizes in one package and it is very helpful. Sometimes I just take apart a similar size plain envelope and use it as my guide. Hope this adds a new way to do this really fun project. Good job on your!!!

"Inspiration breeds inspiration"

Crafts Christmas GiftsDecember 5, 2006
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Painted Chinese furniture.
Cleaning Painted Wood Furniture
Making Envelopes From Magazines
Making Envelopes From Magazines
🎉
🎄