Distinguishing Real Leather From Fake

The other day, we were all talking about buying new furniture and about how to distinguish real leather from fake leather. I had never given it much thought as I am not interested in my furniture being leather although it does have it's benefits. My boss told me she looked into a real leather sofa and the gentleman helping her told her you could be sure you were buying real leather by how many seams it has in it. I looked puzzled, so she continued to explain that fake leather has fewer seams because real leather was taken from hides and there was no animal alive that could cover a whole sofa. Sure made great sense to me. So if you are in the market for a real leather sofa or chair be sure to check how many seams it has in it.

By maphisx7 from Gordonsville, VA

Hmm. I never thought of it that way. My test is simple: the "sniff test." Real leather has its own special scent that unfortunately, I lack the language to describe.

The "sniff test" usually does the trick. If the sofa is vinyl (polyurethane) it will smell like plastic.

Leather Sofa
Buying a Leather Sofa
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture BuyingAugust 6, 2010
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
real estate agent
Selecting a Real Estate Agent
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Fake Logs
Making Fake Logs