Pricing Hand-knit Lace Edging

How do I price hand-knit lace edging for sale? I have started knitting lace edging, 1 to 4 inches wide, and would like to sell some of it. I'm guessing it's priced by the square inch, but how much $$? I haven't found new hand-knit lace edging anywhere on the internet, only secondhand 'antique' or 'vintage' lace on Ebay and other sites. Some of my edging takes an hour to knit an inch, so I can't charge by the hour. Thanks very much.

Jantoo from Kenosha Co, WI

I think the rule of thumb is to price an item 2 or 3 times the cost of your actual supplies.

I hope others on thriftyfun will share their ideas with you.

Thanks very much, Marge. I've long heard that too, but it just doesn't work for such a labor-intensive craft as knitting lace. It takes me 40 hours to knit 40 inches with a $4 skein of cotton thread, and I'm not going to charge only $12 for 40 hours of work. If that's all I can get, I'll just use the lace for gifts and for myself.

I know it is hard to get enough for the enormous time and effort you put into a craft. You could try some of the craft selling websites online, and figure a price by figuring what materials cost you per item along with how much an hour you want to be compensated for your time. If you get it, that is great, if not, then you have something beautiful and easily cherished to give as gifts to people you choose to bless with a gift!

Just a thought, but you might want to consider attaching the lace to a few simple items to sell, such as towels, table runners, , cloth doilies etc. you never know what can sell, but it doesn't hurt to try a few small pieces and see what happens.

Crafts Selling CraftsNovember 23, 2007
Lace Tablecloth
Removing Grease Stains on a Lace Tablecloth
lace close up
Lace Shaping
Cleaning Lace Curtains
Cleaning Lace Curtains