Looking for Wedding Cake Recipes and Tips

I'm doing a wedding cake in about 2 weeks, and I'm looking for good, sturdy cakes that will travel well. I need a marble cake recipe, a chocolate cake recipe, and a vanilla or white cake recipe.

I have to drive to Palm Springs, and I know sometimes cakes have a tendency to crack so I would prefer if I could keep them from doing so. I will have backups just in case, but if anybody can help me I would so appreciate it.

By Moemoe from Temple City, CA

Best Answer

Moemoe, when I make a wedding cake and have been doing this for many years, I add 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise to my mix. It gives me a moist cake and it should not crack. Mine never does and yours shouldn't. If you've not over baked them. Dryness causes a cake to crack, or your oven is too hot. Place them on racks as soon as they come from the oven letting them cool and to transport them. Place on a clean board covered with either heavy duty foil or clean cloth place mats. I use to place mine in a clean pillow case to keep the dirt off and you can get quite a few in a pillow case if it's lying on the side flat. It also keeps them from sliding around. lulu

Best Answer

Treat the layers with a simple syrup glaze to make them very moist. Any cookbook will tell you how. Also, always freeze the cake first and then thaw (possibly on the trip). This makes for a firmer more sturdy cake with richer flavor. Have a great trip! Good luck with the cake!

Best Answer

Hey, I've always had great luck using Duncan Hines cake mix. People rave about the flavor and don't even know it's a mix. I've very rarely had trouble with cracking. Perhaps you're baking your cakes too long and they crack. The best way to deliver a cake is in tiers and put together on site. Be sure to use dowels for extra support.

Try egullet.com and search "wedding cake(s). I know there have been multiple threads on them and you will most likely find ones by pastry chefs. At least you don't have to worry about the frosting melting this time of the year, and I sure do agree about putting the cake together on site. I've driven an assembled cake up and down the hills of San Francisco and some of my gray hair may be due to it and carrying the cake across a crowded sidewalk and up a small elevator/across a lumpy carpet...only once. That was enough.

Bride and Groom figurines on the top of a wedding cake with a flower
Wedding Cake Tips and Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes WeddingOctober 21, 2010
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Wedding Dress Sale square
Saving Money on a Wedding Dress