Mother-of-the-Groom Dress Ideas

I need mother-of-the-groom dress ideas, pronto. It is a summer wedding. I probably won't lose weight in time for the wedding, so I need to hide what will be the shoes (the hips, ...). The jacket, top or the outfit needs to be watermelon pink. Any suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

How about the top or top and jacket in pink, with a wine colored or navy skirt or palazzo pants? Have the shoes match the bottom. Another thought- wine or navy shell and skirt/palazzos, pink jacket.

Go for a solid melon color with most of the decoration above the waist and especially around the face if possible, to draw the eye upwards and emphasize this area instead of potential problem areas. I'm thinking some type of dress (or very fancy pantsuit with wider legs made almost to look like a dress) with a slight v-neck to slenderize your face and neck area, and maybe either sheer sleeves or a wrap to give your arms some coverage while beating the Texas heat.

Don't go frumpy. Try an a-line dress with a seam slightly below the bust (not directly under). Dress can be sleeveless or short sleeves. Add a very simple jacket or bolero. Long for formal wedding. Knee length for afternoon. Use a really stunning piece of jewelry, and make the jacket match the dress or make one slightly darker, but in the same color range. Do not use shiny fabric. The outfit should fit and be close to the body--not too big or too tight. Check out "What not to Wear" on TLC.

OK, I don't like this tip either -- however before I retired I was a hairdresser. I asked my clients the very same question. I will never forget what one lady told me; "the groom's mother wears beige and keeps her mouth shut!"

I understood the concept, and actually thought it was good advise. I wore powder blue that had a nice "drape." I wore very pretty, but comfortable shoes, and it was a good thing as we stood in the reception line for over an hour! Karen from Salem OR.

I would have the dress custom made for me (if possible). I think the entire dress should be the color of watermelon with the darker shade of watermelon on the lower portion of the dress. Perhaps to the breast line and the top portion lighter watermelon, OR make the entire dress watermelon. I think empire waist looks good on everyone. Be sure to keep your arms covered with a short sleeve. A line skirts make the waist appear smaller. the length of the skirt should be at the ankle or just under the knee where the leg is the smallest. The eye tends to go to the end of the fabric so make this fall at your smallest point. Best of luck

I forgot to say that I'd try to keep my dress simple, but choose one very nice piece to use as an accessory. I would most likely choose a large pin. But you may decide to use a nice envelope handbag as your eyecatching accessory. Dont overo the glitz, but if you have one thing it will catch the eye and make you well dressed. imho...

Weddings DressesJanuary 5, 2009
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
selecting a wedding dress
Selecting a Wedding Dress
Tablecloth Dress
Making a Tablecloth Dress
Renewing Vows in a Wedding Dress
Choosing a Dress to Renew Your Vows
🎉
🎄