Create a Helpful Neighbor Group

Check around and see who in the area is interested. This is what it could include: if you are going grocery shopping ask the neighbor if they need a few things. If you are picking up takeout see if the neighbor wants something. If a neighbor is going out of town, pop in and feed the pet. Swap magazines and rented videos. And I am sure we could all think up more!

By Linda

Saving the sunday newspaper and monthly magazines to swap is a great idea for neighbors- especially the elderly on a fixed income. I save all my monthly magazines and my 96 year old mother in law and her friends pass them around to read. The elderly are often lonely and bored and this gives them reading material they sometimes can't afford to buy on their own.

Wish it were that easy; I've tried some of these things and it has become a one way street. Seniors look out for each other but the others seem to have a "stick to myself" and "mind my own business" attitude.

I'm an outgoing person; stop and talk to neighbors when walking my dog, given away food to a neighbor who still charges me to trim my edges. Swap magazines with one lady but she won't leave her husband long enough to form a friendship. Even church is expensive as all activities seem to cost money.

I'm moving next year to be closer to my Daughter. I know this sounds pessimistic but when push comes to shove, all we can be sure of being their for us is family.

Better Living CommunityOctober 7, 2005
A group of men dressed up like fruit.
Group Halloween Costume Ideas
Food for a Large Group
Preparing Food for a Large Group
Large Tray of Cheese and Crackers
Cheese and Crackers for a Large Group
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
🎉
🎄