Craft Project: Plarn Coin Purse
Square coin purse made from grocery plastic bag. With this craft, I reduced plastic garbage going into the environment.
Approximate Time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
- plarn (grocery plastic bag cut into strips)
- thread or sewing yarn
- size E crochet hook
- sewing needle
- 5-6 inches zipper
- Start ch 18
- Round 1: *1 dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in each ch up to the last ch, 5 dc in the last ch, working back loops in opposite side, dc in each ch up to the last ch, 5 dc in the last ch then sl st tog *
- Round 2: *ch 2, dc in each st up to the last ch then sl st tog *
- Round 3 to 8: Rep. round 2. Fasten off and weave in ends.
- Round 9: (Use yarn instead of plarn so that you could easily sew the zipper in it) Join to round 8 *ch 2, dc in each st up to the last st. Sl st tog *. Fasten off and weave in ends.
- Sew the zipper by hand in round 9, using sewing thread and needle.
- start ch 5, sl st to join to make a ring
- to make the 1st to 5th petal: ch 4, 1sc
- sl st to the 1st petal hole, ch 2, 3 dc, sl st
- sl st to the 2nd petal hole,ch 2, 3dc, sl st
- sl st to the 3rd petal hole, ch 2, 3dc, sl st
- sl st to the 4th petal hole, ch 2, 3 dc, sl st
- sl st to the 5th petal hole, ch 2, 3dc, sl st. Fasten off and weave in ends.
- Using sack needle and plarn as thread, sew the flower into the coinpurse.
By Nelly from Estacada, OR
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
There is a video on youtube which shows you how to make plarn. Just go to youtube and do a site search for plarn. If you knit or crochet (which I don't) you can make your plarn for your projects.
Plarn is so cool! I love to crochet, and I love to help reduce waste, plus it's like I have an unlimited supply of free yarn. thanks for the idea! I never thought of making plarn flowers before.
Thank you RecycleCindy.
Very cute and I love the little flower embellishment.
Welcome Ruth. I usually make these to give as a gifts to my friends daughter.
Oh they are so pretty and would make lovely birthday gifts for my 5 year olds school friends, thanks for the idea.
Here are some of the coinpurse I made with that pattern. I was not able to upload all of it in my submission craft so I'll just post it in the Feedback.
Add your voice to the conversation.