Lilac Bushes Look Wilted

I bought 2 lilac shrubs when all the flowers went on clearance at Walmart. They looked fine when I bought them and brought them home. I left them in their pots for about 2-3 weeks before I got to plant them. I got them planted into the ground but by that time they looked sort of wilted. I watered and watered and it didn't work so I added some miracle growth stuff and watered.

That didn't work so I thought maybe too much water so I cut back to 1 time a week and that didn't work. Its been 2 1/2 months and they still look wilted, barely alive. What should I do, I was hoping to get them established before winter hits.

Natalie from Richfield, UT

This is the time of year when the leave die then fall off all lilac bushes. I have 10 that are over 8 feet high & are in the process of dying-back right now. Are you sure it's not just natures cycle? Unfortunately lilacs are not evergreen & die each fall to return in the springtime.

If this isn't it, then maybe you should call a plant nursery (or take in a picture) & ask them about your problem.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 9, 2008
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Lilac Flowers
Lilac Leaves Turning Brown
Rose Bushes
Treating Black Spots on Rose Bushes
Lilacs growing near a white fence with a weathered outbuilding in the background.
Transplanting Lilac Bushes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 27, 2016 at 8:42:47 PM on in 982 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.