Less Bitter Coffee

Hubby noticed that the coffee we had been buying seemed bitter. We use filtered water and had a new coffee maker. So I told him to do what my mom used to do. Add a little pinch of salt to the grounds before turning on the coffee maker. It does work!

We have tried several brands of coffee with and without the salt. Salt wins! I know people will say to cut down on salt, but the little dab it takes to make the coffee better is worth it.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

I agree that the coffee is better with the salt. We've been doing that for a month or so and I think the coffee is better. Also I use the filtered water from our water in the door frig and keep in a container....in the morning I just pull that container and fill the coffeemaker. I also replace my coffeemaker fairly often. I don't care how much I clean with vinegar, the coffee never tastes as good as when the coffeemaker was new. They are so cheap these days that I just replace every yr or two. My coffee is important to me!

Filling up the landfill which is something I don't agree with.

Wow! I was just noticing the bitter taste. Thanks so much for your informative post! Great idea!

Here in the UK to get a good cup of coffee, is like

getting blood from a stone, to say the least it could, drive me to drink only water,[ bottled of course].

ya i just made a pot and it was bitter so i added salt to the pot and pored another cup and it was 100% better thanks for the idea

What works really great for me, is to make ground coffee, already ground, or grind your own. I use a smaller sized french press, but, you can use a small strainer. I like the French press to get as much of the liquid gold out of the grounds as I can.

Before you go to bed, just put about a cup of ground coffee into a covered container, and cover the grounds with cold water, up to about an inch above the grounds, stir it to make sure that all of the grounds are damp and just let it sit on the counter overnight.

In the morning, put a cup of hot water in your cup, and add 1-2 Tbsp. of the liquid gold ;) It depends on how strong you want, so it's best to just test, until you know how much is needed.

Also, I found that it takes a couple of minutes for the full flavor to blooms, and there is not a bit of bitterness, and no acid. Great on our stomachs too.

I also found that filling the grounds the second time with cold water overnight, it still is very good.

I also keep the cold water infused coffee in the refrigerator during the day, though, I don't think it is really necessary.

I'm sure there are lot's of info. about making cold infused coffee for no acid online.

It is just as easy doing it this way, as using instant coffee, only MUCH better tasting.

I found this link for making cold water coffee brewing for cheap.

Here is another link showing how the Hourglass cold water brewed coffee works, and there are ones called the Toddy that does the same thing too. We can make it ourselves with the last link, or like how I do that with my smaller french press. . . as well as use a larger fine mesh strainer to make the coffee concentrate.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Ho ... htm?gclid=CI3kwafy-5wCFQ8MDQod4RnKaQ

It's also that it's great how much less acid is in the concentrate, however, I've read up on cold water process brewing, and trying to tell us that coffee like that can't stain our teeth. Well, they would have to prove that to me. ;)

Making Coffee Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesApril 10, 2006
red spray bottle
Homemade Bitter Apple Spray
Making Coffee Without a Filter
Making Coffee Without a Filter
French press containing coffee, two white coffee cups, and two spoons on a white counter top
Making Coffee in a French Press
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker