Canned Milk As Glue

I had almost forgotten about this until I got a ceramic bowl set in the mail the other day. Growing up, my mom never used regular glue to glue the handles back on her coffee cups, hands on her porcelain dolls, chips on her kitchen bowls, etc. She used Carnation evaporated canned milk!

I was talking to her on the phone when the bowl set came. I was so excited until I noticed the little bowl was broken. My mom told me to use canned milk. I told her that I had some industrial strength glue and I'd use that instead. Good grief! After 3 hours and a heck of a mess, I conceded. I opened a can of milk and, using a Q-Tip, I glued the pieces back together. I let it air dry overnight. The bond is so strong, I can lift the bowl by its handle with a couple oranges in it!

I don't know why it works, but my mom says it's the sugar in the milk that works. :)

Do you mean sweetened condensed milk?

Will this stand up to the dishwasher?

I'm sure this is Condensed milk. Not evaporated milk (which we usually call canned milk). I haven't tried it but I wouldn't be surprised if it works. Elmers Glue is made from milk.

I've never seen 'sweetened condensed milk' by

Carnation. They do make evaporated milk.

So I would think Laurie in talking about the

evaporated milk.

I wrote to Laurie to ask:

It is evaporated milk. I've never used sweetened condensed milk, but it might work also.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I wonder if there's any "ground cattle hoofs" in Elmers? Elmer is a name commonly given to older cows, so I always thought it was because glues are made from the hooves? Regardless, you've made

me think about a large quantity of glue I will be needing for both my styrofoam insulation in my Winter Garden Cartop Luggage Carrier conversion...AND for my upcoming Papier Mache' projects I've been saving "glossy newsprint inserts"

for over the year. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the idea I will try out. God bless you. : )

What a great hint; will have to remember this one.

Canned sweetened milk.
Making Glue With Milk
Crafts MiscellaneousOctober 20, 2006
 Evaporated Milk
Substitutions for Milk in Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft
🎉
🎄