Attracting Squirrels

Category Wildlife
Squirrel on a Tree
While some gardeners and homeowners find these little rodents to be pests, other love to watch their antics. This is a guide about attracting squirrels.

This is a guide about feeding squirrels. Attracting squirrels to your yard will provide you with hours of entertainment watching their playful antics.

Feeding a Squirrel

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How can I attract squirrels to my yard? Most of my foliage is down by the river at the far end of my 3/4-acre property. For the 2 years I've been here I've been adding small bushes and trees closer to the house. I do have 2 large trees closer to that.

I see gray squirrels hit on the road, so I know they're in the area, just not in my particular neighborhood (unless by the river). What might induce them to come here? I feed birds and would like to add squirrels to the antics around me!

By Nica from Big Bend, WV

Best Answer

I agree with FOOD! I have feeders for the birds, but I also put out some food for the squirrels. They use the fence and trees at the back of our yard as a highway (I think they live to the east, but my neighbor to the west has pecan trees). I have a holder for ears of dried corn by the fence, and I spread "critter" food on some of the shelves of my plant stand back there. The critter food (name on the package, not my name!) has dried kernels of corn, peanuts, and black sunflower seeds.

Squirrels are pretty bold, and I think that they're very opportunistic (and clever!). Once they figure out you're giving out easy free food, I think they'll be regulars. But you might have to draw them in a bit. Start out by putting the food near where you think they travel, and gradually start bringing it closer to where you want them. Like Hansel and Gretel's trail of breadcrumbs.

Best of luck with the squirrels! They're a lot of fun to watch (greedy fellas!). I have a regular, and I think that he feels our plant stand is a personal buffet. It's funny when others come around and he tries to run them off (but he can do only so much if there are 3 or 4 of them!).