Budget Kitchen Makeover

This complete make over costs us less than $500 (except the appliances and new light fixture.) We painted the dated cabinets with a formica paint, added a crown molding, tiled the counter with cobalt and white tiles (over the stained laminate.) I added expensive cobalt glass mini tiles as an accent too.

We added a second counter height to the island and a basket where the new ovens were smaller than the hole from the old ones.

All our guests compliment this very pretty and very clean looking kitchen. We even just added brushed steel knobs that I found for 94 cents each on eBay. They were $5.95 each at the home improvement stores. You have to agree. What a difference!

Before

After!

By Cat Somerville from Summerfield, FL

Good job! And doesn't the white make your kitchen look larger and brighter?

Looks great! I bet it all feels wonderful too.

I'm not seeing the changes you mentioned. Is this the right picture? I was hoping to see your new tiles.

I really wanted to see the 'after' photo, but I don't think I am seeing it. I only see the one photo and there are no tiles on the counter.

This looks great! I'm glad to see the "after" photo. I love your counter top!

That is really nice. Make-overs are great when you just need a change!

Clean and fresh! Love your darker counter tile choice in a white kitchen! I like the larger floor tile too! Did you add the shelving to the ends of your island? It turned out beautifully. Won't you

enjoy cooking this Thanksgiving! :)

Jennifer CA

Alright, you've motivated me I must admit....I love my house but hate the look of my kitchen (the layout is fine), and I have those same cabinets you have except my ugly countertops are peach...yes, that's right, peach! I don't know what the builder was thinking but I'm ready to make my kitchen over. I spent a lot on new flooring throughout the house and then new area rugs for the living and dining rooms, so I need to execute my kitchen renovation on a budget. My only concern is how the painted laminate holds up against scratches etc and what products/steps did you use to prime/prepare the surfaces for paint. They do really look great and more in keeping with the look I'm going for.

I just did a complete kitchen makeover..I couldnt stand the 1960's wallpaper, cabinets, appliances anymore but was on a major budget..i painted the walls, colorwashed the cabinets with the same paint. Then I painted my countertops. Put down a really nice luxury vinyl tile..a few new pics..new lights and appliances (that was definately the most expensive thing. I did all the work myself wich saved tons of money. Was scarey using a saw to make the cooktop fit but it was well worth it..

this is an after pic except new lights

after pic

Last after pic

Thrifty Kitchen Makeover Ideas
Thrifty Kitchen Makeover Ideas
Photos Home ImprovementNovember 17, 2005
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget, Red tool box full of tools.
Renovating Your Kitchen on Budget
Bookshelf
Bookshelf Makeover
Large Kitchen Fire
Preventing Kitchen Fires
🎉
🎄