Getting More POP Out of Your Popcorn

contest winner icon

You don't have to buy gourmet popcorn. When making popcorn, I have found it is better not to heat the oil on a high heat at first. I know this may sound stupid, but the kernels get more more heat distribution if you start out slow.

Think: You don't cook prime rib steak on blazing heat from the get go; you'll end up burning parts and other parts will be undercooked. After hearing the first few kernels pop, turn up the heat. Cook as normal.

I think you will find less kernels than before. I have and I buy store brand. My friends wonder why there are so little kernels left. They think I have used gourmet popcorn like ORVILLE REDENBACHER. HA. HA. HA.

It's like my grandma letting the city cousins think they were drinking delivered milk when all she was doing was putting the family cow's milk in a bottle she found!

By the way, I don't ever use a popcorn machine.

Hi Tim. Thanks for the suggestion of making popcorn on a low heat. We used to have near perfect popcorn cooked in our cheap aluminum pans but our new steel pans with thick bases just keeps burning them. Will try to make popcorn at a lower setting just like you suggested and get back to you with the result.

Rachel. F. Surrey, England.

I forget where I read about this, but a good thrifty healthy way to make microwave popcorn, is use a brown paper lunch bag, line bottom with kernels, & microwave bag with upright - opening at top (I fold it over twice so it doesn't spill out. When it's done (listen for popping to subside), you can season as you like - I just add it in bag & shake (melting butter a few seconds in microwave first.

I haven't had that kind of popcorn in ages. Only microwave for me....

Pam, Utica, NY

Actually, to cook a steak, it IS put into a very hot frypan or onto a very hot grill. That's how the best chefs do it and I will take their advice any time. And for popcorn, I heat the oil first and put the popcorn in when it is hot. I don't heat the oil and popcorn together. I get very few unpopped kernels. It starts popping right away and it doesn't absorb the oil because the other kernels are popping up too. Most microwave type popcorn is made with coconut oil and that stuff is an instant artery clogger.

I also recommend the brown paper bag and microwaving. I seal the bag with masking tape. I put a little oil in the bottom of the bag--it is greasy so set the bag on a plate. Tastes great and costs pennies without the horrid smell of the packaged microwave popcorn.

Moisture in the pop corn kernel is what causes the corn to "pop". I buy a large bag and store it in a jar and from time to time drop in a damp papertowel to add moisture to the kernels and take it out the next day. Of course, you don't want to overdo it... you'd end up with moldy corn!

When storing kernals, keep them in an air-tight container. Exposure to humidity significantly reduces the percentage of kernals that pop.

Now that we have "add moisture" and "prevent exposure to humidity," which is correct?

I've never been able to pop popcorn as good as the microwave kind. Every time I've tried it comes out tough.

http://www.tellmewhyfacts.com/2006/11/why-does-popcorn-pop.html

Here is an article about the moisture required in popcorn. Maybe it depends where you live if adding moisture is a good idea or not.

Popcorn in Blue Bowl
Making Popcorn Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsNovember 20, 2008
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Bowl of Popcorn
Homemade Microwave Popcorn
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
🎉
🎄