Freeze Chopped Vegetables

It is handy to chop up such items as celery, onions, peppers and peeled garlic and store them in small plastic bags in the door of your freezer. I save some to use fresh, but a lot of the time I don't use them up, and they can go bad before we eat them; especially garlic as it tends to dry up. I use the top part of celery with leaves for soups. It's nice to have these items all ready to use.

Garlic would not have to be chopped up, as one can chop the frozen cloves but peeling it saves that tedious job. Also it lets one buy in bigger quantity when on sale.

Another thing I have done is to just clean celery stalks and freeze them whole in a long bread bag. When it is frozen, it can be chopped up very easily.

By Judy S. from Valley City, ND

I like to do this too. Sometimes I will freeze the exact ingredients I need for a soup or stir fry. Other times I will freeze the ingredients separately. I do this with parsley and cilantro. They aren't quite as good after being frozen but they are better than dried.

Another thing I do when I have too much garlic is to roast it. I peel it and then freeze the whole cloves. I can use them later in recipes. I especially like to use it on pizza. Any that get squished, I use right away, maybe in a soup or pasta.