Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Recipes Without Corn

I just found out I have a corn allergy. Do you have an allergy site or corn-free recipes? I couldn't find on the site.

Thanks,
Kathy from Owings, MD

By

By Lynda (Guest Post)06/25/2007

Watch out for the HIDDEN corn by-products such as
Dextrose, Malto-Dextrin, Ascorbic Acid, Modified Corn
Starch, Modified food starch, multiple oils= "Safflower, Corn, or Cottonseed Oil", Fructose(which is supposed to be only from fruit, but is NOT, and is often just corn sugars), Coffee Creamers(mostly corn sugars), fruit juice "concentrates", and
foods that say sweetened with fruit sugars (often inclulde corn sweeteners) for starters. I had to remove all of these from my diet for several years, until I was only recently able to reintroduce some of them to my diet. I also find that COMBINATIONS of
corn by-products in a single product knock me off my feet! Also, when I began having hemmorrohoids, and irritable bowel/colon syndrome, I learned from trial and error, that a combination of FOODS which were, for me, corn combined with ANY form/color of pepper was near deadly, although I LOVE the taste of corn and peppers! Once I discovered NOT to combine them or eat at a restaurant during this elimination/trial time, I had
NOT A SINGLE EPISODE OF internal problems!!!
Instant coffee can irritate the stomach when combined with corn products like sweet rolls or corn tortillas. I learned to buy jam, not jelly, because Jam has less corn starch/sweetener. Most candies are pure corn by-products, NOT plain white sugars.
Most canned drinks not artificially sweetened are sweetened with corn products. Most margarines have corn in them, so I use only pure butter.
I can eat corn-on-the-cob, but not Pancake syrup/corn syrup. I use Agave Syrup instead. I must eat fresh fruit bars, NOT popcicles or jello, or koolaid (LOTS of malto-dextrin AND corn sweeteners !) Beware of the mfgrs efforts in labeling to justify their uses by explaining what it is used for. Makes no difference to me, my body can NOT handle so much corn product! Hope this helps? It's a different way of surviving.

God bless and heal us all. : )

By Janice C. [18]06/10/2007

Me too, along with some other allergens. I've found it best to stick to basics when you can. Almost all prepared, processed foods have corn syrup and/or corn starch in them. That's why doctors don't like to see corn allergy.

You might get a bread machine. It's really easy to make your own bread, using whole wheat flour. "Enriched" flour has corn products in it, and homemade bread tastes so much better than store-bought. Canned fruit has corn syrup in it, so get the brand that doesn't - you might check out Aldi's Fit and Active. Wheat tortillas are available at Aldi's in the refrigerated section for $.79. I always shop with a grocery list and read the labels.

If you try to get as much variety in your diet as possible, with lots of herbs and spices and different fruits and vegetables, you'll find that life without corn can still be very flavorful. And eventually, you'll probably be able to eat corn again, a little at a time.

By B.W.....Anch., Alaska (Guest Post)06/09/2007

Hi Kathy, I to am allergic to corn and corn products, have been for several years. I have found that you can fix almost anything and enjoy it by deleting the corn. As for the corn syrup products. Well they still bother me, but you do have to eat. They just make my stomach sick. They even make flour tortilla chips now....put out by Tostitos....they are AWESOME! Good luck

By Holly [350]06/08/2007

Do you have to watch out for high fructose corn syrup, too?

By cyndi [2]06/08/2007

I "googled" corn free recipes and came up with tons of websites...this one looked to be a good start...

http://www.cornallergens.com/food/corn-free-recipes.php