Teens and Thongs

My teen thinks she is going to die if I don't let her where thongs to school. She is 13 and apparently they make fun of anyone who doesn't wear thongs in gym class. They call normal underwear "Granny's Panties"? This has caused a major problem in our relationship. Does anyone have any advice or experiences to share?

Thanks,
Diane from Palm Beach, FL

Answers

I'm a father of a 10 year old and my daughter wears thongs. I personally don't care if she buys them because they're underwear and if she likes them, she likes them and I can't prevent her from being what she wants people to think about her. And yes, I did ask her once why she wears thongs and she said because her friends wear them and she doesn't want to be left out. So my suggestion is to buy some for her at Victoria's Secret pink or something like that (because it's what she has the most of) or just give her something like 100 bucks and let her go buy what she wants (that's what I do to my daughter). I don't think any parent should prevent their child from being what they want others to think about them. In the sense that it's the current trend and she doesn't want people to think she's old fashioned. Actually, if she wears normal underwear and others call it grannies panties, you are making her get teased more because you are not allowing her to wear them. So you might just as well save your daughter from being teased by buying her some thongs. As simple as that. Hope you got what I said.

Blue cotton thong underwear on a white background
When Should Teens Wear Thongs?
Parenting TeenFebruary 23, 2007
A teen knitting a house.
Craft Ideas for Teens
Teens Eating Pizza
Saving Money on Feeding Teens
Summer Activities for Teens
Summer Activities for Teens
Teens Biking with Mom
Family Activities for Parents With Teens
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 16, 2017 at 5:23:00 AM on 10.0.1.142 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.