Candlelight Night

I was reading through advice about electrical power outages and what to do. Guess what, sometimes on purpose, we turn off all the electricity and do everything by candlelight, especially when the grandkids are here. It is a fun evening for everyone.

By Arlene from Wisconsin

Sounds like a great thing to do to save electricity and have some fun while doing it. Thanks for sharing with us!

We homeschool. My girls are reading the Little House series, and we have been doing the same once a week. Without the electric, we play games such as checkers, read, knit, sew or do things that Laura or Mary would have done. Its fun, saves money, and they learn from it.

I always enjoyed the nights when the lights were out because of an ice storm when I was a child in NY state. I now live in So.Cal and us candles on my table and lower the dimmer light as low as my husband allows. I like the candlelight.

Harriet

wonderful ideas for reconnecting w/family time.I too have candles however my son gave me a few of those camping lanterns,these run on batteries which are safer for me,should the need arise to use them I feel safer (being handicapped)walking around the house.

Thanks for the tips.My grand daughter loves to hear about the"Olden Days"umm,that being the 40's&50's...lol

Keeper

October 23, 2007 Flag

Once a month, pick a night and call it "Candlelight Night". No electric anything. Saves money and great way to communicate with your family.

By Carol from Massachusetts

Answers:

Candlelight Night

I love the idea, but how to convince the man who has the television on even when he's out mowing the lawn! (06/08/2007)

By Lynn Beth

Candlelight Night

thats a good idea - we used to do that at dinnertime when we first got my stepkids -- they opened up more to dinner discussion in the dim lit room vs. being looked at by everyone listening which made them more withdrawn ...
(06/08/2007)

By melody_yesterday

RE: Candlelight Night

Candlelight Night

My family and I will have to try this, sounds like a fun money-saving idea! (06/08/2007)

By frugalmomma

Candlelight Night

If I could spare my emergency candles, I'd LOVE to do this. Yet, it reminds me of when we are HAVING to do it for lack of electricity for a time. We do have a glass candle/jar which I allow my grandson to light when he thinks of it, and we turn off the light to enjoy it. He begins to sing Christian songs every time. It's a sweet memory since he's without his parents a lot. : ( (06/25/2007)

By Lynda

A family opening a board game.
Family Fun Night Ideas
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergyOctober 25, 2007
moonflower closeup
Growing Moonflowers
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Getting a Good Night's Sleep
Making a Date Night Jar
Making a Date Night Jar
sleeping boxer
Dog Won't Sleep Through the Night
🎉
🎄