Simple Ways to Conserve Water

With the drought conditions in many parts of the country, begin to conserve water even if your state hasn't been affected.

• If it's yellow, let it mellow, bathroom-wise.
  • Ad

• Turn off the water while brushing.

• Use gray water for the lawn and plants.
  • Sweep instead of spray leaves off the deck or sidewalk.
  • Use only a glass of water when taking a pill.
  • Run full loads of laundry.

You get the idea.

By Rhema from Charleston, SC

I've been fighting a lack of water too in California and I have found some ways to conserve. Our well is very low and we had to quit watering the lawn. I let my shower water run into a bucket while getting it warm enough. Then I put it on the lawn. I turn the water off while shampooing and then back on to rinse. I rinse dishes off into a pan and pour the water on the lawn.

I wash my face and hands during the day into a bowl in the bathroom sink and dump it on something outside. I even throw water with pieces of vegetables and so forth on the lawn, figuring it eventually turns into compost. Sometimes the wild life gets to it first and that makes me happy. It is fun to see a spot "green up" that would otherwise die.

People in other countries, less affluent than ours (maybe wiser in some ways) have been using that statement for years. In it's entirety it says: "If it's yellow stay mellow, but if it's brown flush it down." Sometimes in a small household, it's not too bad. In a big household, I might get grossed out. At night, who cares - don't turn the light on.

dripping faucet
Saving Money on Your Water Bill
Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterNovember 12, 2007
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Above Ground  Swimming Pool
Saving Energy on Swimming Pools
Green Reader
Being a Greener Reader