Dog That Licks Too Much

My dog licks all the time. Please help.

By carlis from Clarkton, NC

It could be several different things, he may have a behavioral issue, allergies, absesses. I would check with your vet to make sure he's ok :)

Good luck!

I saw this exact thing on the TV show "The dog Whisperer". On TV (the National Geographic channel) the dog had a nervous/obsessive issue. They stopped it right away, each time he started to lick, they'd distract him. It could take many weeks to change his ways. I agree with "Homestedingmom". Ask you vet. You might also find that TV show episode.

As I mentioned in another post today, take your dog to the vet. If it is a behavioral problem, or even if it is something treatable with medication, what the vet will likely do is put a pail or a cone on your dog's head so he won't be able to lick excessively. This is a very easy and inexpensive way to stop this problem. The dog won't be crazy about it, but it is better than licking his paws raw, and it certainly doesn't hurt him.

Not sure about your dog, but I have a pekingnese whose tongue should belong in the Guiness Book of World Records. She does NOT like coffee. I take the grounds and rub them on her back to prevent her from licking and biting herself. For everyone else, we keep handy a cup with the scent. This took about a month. Now all I have to do is say the word coffee and she stops. Wish you the best of luck.

This is for "hmmm" with the french Bulldog's breath and licking issues. Regarding the bad breath - can be readily attributed to the diet. We had that issue with our chihuahua, and changed her food to Neutro Chicken and oatmeal for sensitive stomachs. Her breath improved within a week, and we fed her nothing else. If she gets a treat, it is the Neutro brand and not much of those. Another brand I've heard about is called "Blue." A healthy brand dog food, no "people food" and a limited amount of treats.

The licking issue should at least be seen by a Vet, just to make sure it's not a physical problem. Then go from there. Some of the suggestions I've seen on this blog are worth noting, but a Vet is still the best place to start if you really want to get a handle on it.

Dog Licking Paw
Stopping a Dog from Licking Too Much
Pets Dogs Training AdviceJuly 28, 2009
Spicy Soup With Peppers
Fixing Soup With Too Much Pepper
Spaghetti Sauce
Spaghetti Sauce With Too Much Basil
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
doberman puppy
How Much Exercise Does a Puppy Need?