Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Gnats In Room With Guinea Pigs

I have guinea pigs and I gave them some pineapple about 2 wks. ago. I started getting gnats and was using a flying pest spray on them. I would spray the entire room after removing my piggies and let it sit closed for an hour or so. Well, no more pineapple since my piggies don't eat it but my gnat problem has increased about 10 times more than before. How do I get rid of these annoying things w/out harming my piggies and how can I prevent it. I don't understand because my piggies have very clean cages and they eat all veggies. I have removed all fruit from the cage since they don't like it. With no fruit, what are they after?

Leila

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Aviauna B.09/27/2013

Use red cedar wood chips as bedding. Some pet stores will say that it is not good or safe for your little piggies, but it helps repel ants, some gnats an other pests that you and I don't want near our piggies. Also you can put your piggies in a room that has a air conditioner in it so the pests will think the weather is to cold and leave your house. I hope this helped you out! If you have any more questions about your little piggies then go to facebook and look up Aviauna Beckett.

I am a expert when it come to talking about piggies. I have 3 of my own guinea pigs and they are very happy especially my 1st piggie Cynna Bunn, he loves me so much and he never stops climbing on me and jumping on and off of tall objects.

By Dinah (Guest Post)02/02/2009

Well, I have tried the vinegar & soap method. Only a few every couple of days had gotten "stuck" in the solution. They will fall into a cup of coffee, dishpan with a little water in it, everything, but they still keep multiplying. We also have the fly strips up (in my kitchen, and over the guinea pigs cage), still not enough. Now, I am going to try the banana peel in the bag method and hope it works.

By Cheryl F (Guest Post)10/15/2008

I got rid of gnats by taking a small dish and putting 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar in it. Add a squirt of dish detergent and stir well. Place the dish near the gnats and wait. The gnats are attracted to the smell of the vinegar. They will attempt to land on the surface of the vinegar soup. When the soap touches their wings, they will not be able to fly and they will drown.

By emz (Guest Post)05/05/2008

Can they harm my piggies?

By Beth (Guest Post)10/05/2007

I'm so glad to read this - my piggies have us infested with some sort of small fly. We've cleaned the cage multiple times and quit giving fresh fruits/vegs temporarily, but they little buggers won't die off! Now I have some new tricks to try in my arsenal...!

By Linda (Guest Post)07/30/2007

I have never had a problem until the past month or so and no matter what I do I can not get rid of the pests. I cleaned the entire cages, have 3 the area around them, use the sticky strips that was a waste of time and still there are there.

I am ready to scream, make them go away, please!

By Katie (Guest Post)07/28/2007

Use sticky fly strips... we used them in our barn for our horses and they worked perfectly! I also have guinea pigs and I found that I had the same problem as you do. So I just placed about three fly strips on the top outside area of each guinea pigs cage and some on the side as long your guinea pig can't reach them and it worked like a charm! Within a few days the gnat problem was gone. And it didn't harm my guinea pigs either in fact I still do it to this day but we rarely have gnats any more.

By guest (Guest Post)12/07/2006

thanks so much for the hints about the gnats i want out and bought vanilla room freshners and apple cider vincer i think it is working they like the apple cider we will see if this helps it is not like i dont keep there cage clean because i do. also put these items in by my ferret cage.

By (Guest Post)08/10/2005

Peppermint, vanilla, bay, clove, sassafras, and cedar have all been used as bug repellents also a bunch of fresh parsley is meant to keep flies away, or you could get a really big spider...!!

By Gnat Sufferer (Guest Post)02/09/2005

None of that stuff works for me!

I keep her cage clean, I don't feed her much fruit within the cage, yet every time I clean it, they come back. They're laying eggs in her poop. ):

By Dee [3]01/26/2005

The bugs are probably coming from the bedding chips, a friend of mine had to use the flypaper rolls hung over the cage for several days..she got fresh bedding for the guineas so you may want to check the bag of chips your using. bowl of apple cider vinegar works well ..just place bowl near cage..empty in the morning.

By (Guest Post)01/26/2005

Found this on e bug......
Fruit flies---They breed not only in fruit, but in wet mops, spoiled onions and potatoes, dish washer leaks and any other wet area with organic debris. Eliminate the source and then treat the area with a Pyrethrum Aerosol.

Phorid flies--Usually a sign of a sewage leak, inside or outside, but may be any plumbing leak. Fix the plumbing and then spray with a pyrethrin aerosol.

Fungus gnats, knats--Usually these come from house plants that are over watered. Reduce the watering, treat the soil with insecticide, and then spray the air with a Pyrethrum Aerosol.

Knats, gnats, no-seeums, midges, buffalo gnats, etc.--There are lots of pesky little flies that breed outside but find their way inside. Good screens on the windows, keeping the door shut, spraying the air inside with a pyrethrum aerosol will all help. Hanging Prozap Insect Guards on the porch, garage or work shop will also provide relief. But in the long run eliminating the breeding sites for these pesky gnats will be your best solution. Spraying with permethrin sfr will kill these knats outside.

Outside Knats:

Spraying with Permethrin SFR or fogging with an Electric Fogger will provide short term relief. Eliminating the gnats breeding sites will provide long term relief. Standing water of any kind or poorly operating septic tank fields are common breeding sites.

Mosquito & Gnat Scat--A dry granule that is safe to apply wherever gnats and mosquitoes are a problem. No poisons, safe around pets, children and plants. One 5 pound container treats up to 4000 sq. ft. and lasts 2-3 weeks. Contains Lemon Grass Oil, Mint Oil, Garlic Oil.

If you have mosquitoes, see our mosquito article.
-
Pyrethrin Aerosol, large enough to spray a house several times, $16.50 per can
Prozap Insect Guard, one covers over 1100 cubic feet, will last 2-4 months, $8.50
Permethrin SFR, one quart makes many gallons, covers 30,000 square feet, $59
Electric Fogger, very durable B & G brand, $230
Mosquito & Gnat Scat is $14.95 for 5 pounds, covers up to 4000 sq. ft.

By Peter (Guest Post)01/26/2005

Now that the Gnats are already established in that area you will have to fully clean the cages the piggies occupy. The juice an fluids from the pineapple have permeated the bedding materials at the bottom of the cage. Clean it soon and you may have to limit the food to an amount that the guinea pigs will eat almost completely. I had the same problem years ago with guineas. Gnats will start anywhere that we leave fruit or vegetable material but fruit is the worst. I wish you success the piggies will appreciate your efforts I guarantee it.

By Tam (Guest Post)01/25/2005

Hi Leila,
I was having a problem with fruit flies and my friend's grandmother told me of an old trick they use to do. My husband has Asthma and I couldn't use spray.

You take a piece of ripe banana peel and put it in the very back of an empty bread sack. Make sure there is no food out and lay it out flat on the counter or table with the end open for the flies to get in there. Shut the room up and even put a towel up to the door. Wait a few hours and check. When the bag is full of the little buggers, just knot up the sack and toss in the outside trash. You may have to do it several days in a row because if you see one or two of the flies, chances are they have laid eggs. This is probably why it seems worse.

You might want to take the piggies and their food and bedding out of the room so the gnats wont have a choice in where they feed and have to go to the sack for some grub.

Hope this helps, at least you wont be out any money and your piggies will be safe.

Tam