Saving Money on Window Cleaner

Tips for saving money on window cleaner as posted from the ThriftyFun community.

Windshield Cleaner

Don't pay extra for Windex. Wait until your auto parts store has car windshield cleaner on sale and stock up. Save dollars by refilling your spray bottles at home.

By Terri

I just use vinegar to clean my windows. It is cheap and I always have it on hand.

By Ziggee

Dilute Vinegar Or Windshield Wiper Fluid

I have not bought window cleaner in years. Instead I make my own, in one of 2 ways:

• Dilute white vinegar 1/2 with water. Use as you would Windex.
  • Buy windshield wiper fluid when it is on sale for 99 cents. I dilute it 1/3 fluid to 2/3 water. Again, I use it as I would Windex.

I don't use paper towels on windows either. I either use old newspapers or old cloth diapers.

By April

Hot Water

I use hot water and micro cloths. Many have asked how I get my patio doors to shine.

By Lavonneann

Vinegar and Newspaper

I use plain white vinegar and crumpled up newspapers. The ink in the newspaper shines up the glass or mirror beautifully. Easy, fast, and inexpensive!

By AnyaB

Vinegar Window Cleaner

• 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 cups warm water

Put all the ingredients into a clean spray bottle and shake to mix. Use as you would a commercial glass cleaner. Spray on glass and wipe dry with a clean cloth or newspaper.

Rubbing Alcohol

Use regular rubbing alcohol. Just a couple drops on a cottonball, paper towel or rag will clean any glass squeeky clean with no streaks for less than pennies per use.

By Mary

Dawn Ultra in Water

A couple of drops of Dawn Ultra in a spray bottle full of water works wonders on glass and mirrors. We use it everyday at the convenience store I manage. We also use it in the windshield washer container outside in the summer months. Leaves surfaces streakfree. One bottle of Dawn lasts a very long time!

Gina from Missouri

Rubbing Alcohol and Ammonia Recipe

I have the best glass cleaner recipe ever! I've been using this for over 10 years! You can also put it in your window washer container in your car. No streaks!

Mix equal parts in an empty squirt bottle.

• Rubbing alcohol
  • Ammonia
  • Water

By Jane from Anaheim, California

Do you have any ideas? Feel free to post them below.

A man washing windows.

NEVER, NEVER mix ammonia with any other chemical! I do know for sure that ammonia and beach is a deadly mixture. I don't know about the ammonia and rubbing alcohol mixture posted here but BE CAREFUL. Why take the chance? Ammonia is strong. Rubbing alcohol is strong. Seems best to not mix them if you ask me.

I use a weak alcohol , vinegar and dawn detergent mix in a pail. Since I have a large amount of large surface windows and doors ( 7 sliding glass doors ) I use a squeeche (spelling ?). Sponge down -- wipe across with the squeeche--- wipe squeeche on a towel and keep going. It's so fast. For best results it should be a quality squeeche with replaceable rubber blades. It's worth the money.

alcohol and amonia sounds like a deadly combination to me. alcohol is fumy and of course so is amonia.

Save the paper the cashiers wrap breakables in when shopping. Its kind of like newsprint. Places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Pier 1, etc. wrap dishes & ceramics in it before bagging it. Along with spray of your choice, it cleans glass better than paper towels and its free.

I mix equal parts vinegar/water/rubbing alcohol. Works great! Be sure and use newspaper.

I read somewhere that you should not use auto windshield cleaner as window cleaner. Something to do with the toxic chemicals and breathing the vapors. That's what I don't like about ammonia. I think the dawn diluted with water is good or you can pick up a jar of window cleaner at the dollar store. I'd rather spend that $1.00 and be safe! Actually, I would rather not have to clean windows at all!!

I've spent 30+ years owning and operating my own residential services business. If you have to use a "cleaner" on glass, then I suggest using auto windshield wash, cut 50% w/water. It can be bought anywhere from 69 cents to 99 cents a gallon & it wipes up clean & w/o streaking. Having said that, there's an even better, faster and cheaper method I've used for decades. Don't "wet" glass, chrome or mirrors to clean them. Instead, use 0000 steel wool and clean them dry, wiping off or vacuuming away the leftover "dust." This method works especially well with glass shower doors/enclosures and outside windows. It takes very little "elbow grease" & there is nothing better for removing those hard water spots & mineral deposits.

Window and Glass Cleaner

1/2 cup no sudsing or low sudsing ammonia

1/2 cup isopropyl alcohol

1/2 cup water

Combine ingredients, store in a trigger spray bottle. Use newspaper to clean windows.

I bought a spray bottle at a janitorial supply shop. They are of good quality and are not expensive.

A man cleaning a window in his house.
Saving Money on Window Cleaner
Home and Garden Cleaning WindowsFebruary 29, 2008
Water on Deck
Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Homemade Wood Floor Cleaner Recipes
Close up of Cleaning Eyeglasses
Homemade Eyeglass Cleaner Recipes
Cleaning Windows
Homemade Window and Glass Cleaner Recipes