Always Run Water When Using Garbage Disposal

I read tips on clogged garbage disposals and tried the vinegar/baking soda trick. It didn't work because the pipe from the disposal was filled with chopped up Brussels sprouts!

The lesson learned is always send enough water when chopping up vegetables as recommended. If the disposal is working and the plumber's friend won't dislodge the gunk, you have to dismantle the pipe and clear it. Joints nowadays are easy to turn.

By Stan from Portland, OR

After reading your post it brought back memories of the time I used the garbage disposal to get "rid" of shrimp shells. Don't ever do this no matter how much water is running! We plugged up the kitchen sink. Not a good thing when you are catching an early flight the next am to Florida, and mom is coming to watch her favorite grandson, plus 3 cats and 2 birds. My wonderful mother handled not having a functioning sink with her usual grace, and never complained once. When the good lord made my mother was one very blessed child.

I also learned not to put everything down the disposal. Avoid meat, egg shells and other things that are hard to grind and can cause problems.

Home and Garden Repair Home Garbage DisposalDecember 11, 2009
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Clean garbage disposal drain.
Keeping Garbage Disposal Smelling Fresh
🎄