Preventing Basil From Flowering

Question:

My basil looks as though it is going to flower. Can this process be halted by cutting off the brackets or is this useless?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Answer:

Holly,

Basil is somewhat prone to bolting and going to seed, especially in warm weather. The seed heads actually increase the amount of volatile oils in the plant's leaves, so culinary basil needs to be harvested before the flower stalk is produced for the best flavor and the longest shelf-life. Bolting is usually the result of elevated temperatures or due to stress from harvesting large amounts of foliage at one harvest. If more than 1/3 to 2/3 of the leaves are taken at one time (especially during warm temperatures) the plant can be induced into premature bolting. To avoid this, harvest 1/3 to 2/3 of the upper portion of the plant and pinch back the stems to encourage leafy growth. You can also cut the entire stem back to one or two pairs of leaves, although this sometimes causes re-growth to bolt early. It's worth noting that there are now basil varieties less resistant to early bolting.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Yes, just trim off the flowers and the tiny leaves near the top of the plant. Harvesting some of the larger leaves to put on salad or pesto will help to encourage the plant to keep creating leaves, too. This can be done many, many times--I once kept a basil plant alive for nearly a year, inside the house and out.

I grow basil every summer. I finally bought a food dehyrdator and dry it for use in the winter. I can't figure out why basil in the market is so expensive when it grows so large and easily.

I grew my basil plant from seed last year. It's still growing strong! I just pinch the tips when it looks like it's getting ready to flower. Every so often I will trim the stems down and dehydrate the leaves in the oven. I just wash them, place them on an oven safe plate at 200F for about 20 minutes. Crumble and put into a spice jar.

I snip off the flower heads through out the season and use them in cooking also.

Hello !

All aromatic herbs have to be cut back regularly : mint, thyme, verbena, sage, rosemary, parsley, basil, oregano, chives, garlic ... That is even more important for the perennials and the ones that produce wood like verbena, thyme and lavender. When they are not cut back, they start crawling and they produce new branches and flowers only at the top end part of the branches. To keep a lavender bush many years with a round shape and many flowers you should cut back not only the flowers well before they start drying, but all the green parts plus 2 or 3 centimeters of the woody part of the branches. Do the same to thyme, verbena, rosemary. Always use a pair of scissors and cut the branches neatly. Think of them as little trees and do not pull off the branches by hand as you will tear off parts of the bark.

Flowering Basil
Preventing Basil From Flowering
Home and Garden Gardening HerbsJune 14, 2006
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Spring of fresh basil.
Freezing Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Recipes Using Fresh Basil
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
🎄