Jars Needed for Gifts-In-A-Jar

I would like to make a bunch of gifts-in-a-jar (cookie mixes, cake mixes, soup mixes, etc.) for Christmas this year. I now need to know where to get quart or liter-sized jars. Suggestions, anyone? I've seen nice ones at kitchen and houseware stores, but they often cost upward of $10 each, and I can't afford that. Sources for inexpensive sealable bottles would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Lynne

Your best bet is either old mayo or spaghetti sauce jars (free) or buying a case of mason jars. You'd probably want quart size. You could possibly get some by posting to a local Freecycle group or at a thrift store.

Susan at ThriftyFun

I buy the canning jars and either cover the lids with a fabric circle tied with fancy ribbon, or I buy the plastic screw on lids that are fancier. You should be able to get a dozen for under $10.00 for the whole box.

Sometimes the recycling depots will give jars away if you need them. You can also put an ad in the local newspaper for jars. In summer, garage sales are a great place for jars, too. Find grandmothers (those who used to put up a lot of fruit and vegetables in the summer and fall) who live in the country and had a big garden years ago, they will most likely be glad to get rid of a few jars.

I looked at all of our stores in town for the wide mouth quart canning jars and almost gave up finding them until I called one of our local grocery stores. They had them in a case of 12 for a very reasonable price. The manager said that they're a seasonal item, so, if you find them, it might be best to stock up for future uses.

I found them at Grocery stores (Albertson's - California), Michaels Craft Stores, and Retail Outlets (surplus outlets) for Pyrex and other glassware companies. We have a lot of outlets in California! I have seen Pyrex outlets in Nevada also!

Good-luck!

I volunteer at a church thrift store and we have all sorts of that kind of thing there - canning jars especially and others that are decorative and not expensive.

The store "Big Lots" near me usually has a box of a dozen for around $6.00

Last year I made some of the jar gifts and will be making them again this year. I use mason jars and decorate the lid with christmas material, tie raffia around the lid and sometimes paint the jar or put glitter on them. I've purchased many dozen when on sale at the end of the season for canning or the thrift stores usually have them for a small amount. I purchased mine at Walmart for about $6.00 they have a pretty design on one side. If you use plain jars you can also cover those with christmas material or make a snowman with a white sheet. Every time I've given these jar gift they are welcomed.

I've found canning jars at Walmart and Big Lots. Check your grocery store also, they will be a little more expensive there though. My grocery store keeps their jars by the fruit and they offer decorative lids for the jars too. You should be able to dress up your own jars though. Good luck!

Big Instant coffee jars would work great too.& Check where you drop off recycling. If that's how you get rid of your recyclables.

I raid the bins for all sorts of things. I figure it's a barter system. I bring in quite a bit every week,if I should happen to find a little something to take Back Out,fine. It's still recycling.

I see used canning jars at garage sales and thrift shops all the time for very little. Save your nice glass jars from pickles, spaghetti sauce, mayo, etc . It depends on what size you need but the jars pickled beets come in are nice and I believe are a pint size. To buy a case of brand new canning jars is not expensive but reusing clean used jars is a good idea! To pretty them up or cover printing on the lid, just cut a circle of fabric and cover and tie on with ribbon or jute....adding a tag with instructions.

Using pint wide mouth mason jars I decorate the rim (with ribbon, dried flowers, anything else that suits my fancy, etc), then using some craft wire make a handle and fill the bottom of the jar with sand about 1/4th of the way up. Adding a tea light, with the tin on, makes a nice homemade Country gift.

The Dollar Tree has the cutest jars that look handpainted with snowmen, santas, christmas trees, etc....The jars are glass with an airtight lid.

I received from my grandson who, of course is a cutie, Hot Chocolate in a jar with marshmallow's even! They used the tall canning jars, which is what I have noticed people use at craft shows. You can also use the big mayo or salad dressing jar's. If you do not want to spend a lot of money. Good Luck dar

Go to a GOODWILL store. There are always tons there, 10 each! And bigger ones are .25.

Why not check out the Garage Sales? That's where I find my jars for my special jams and jellies. Usually they are very reasonable in price. Gifts in a jar are great when you decorate them. Try etching the outside with Dip n Etch from Etch-All. Great product. You can paint on them or put a rub on sticker. Makes it Personal when you take the time to decorate them also. Good Luck!