Urine Odor in Elementary School Bathroom

What removes urine odor from an elementary school bathroom? I am a custodian, and little boys seem to "miss" quite often. The products provided by the school aren't working very well. There always seems to be an underlying urine odor. I haven't been at this job very long, so any help would really be appreciated!

Barb from Kellogg, IA

Dilute vinegar and spray on the area surrounding the urinals/toilets. Allow to dry. Vinegar neutralizes urine odors.

After having worked in an elementary school for a couple years now. I often wondered about the walls. I have had to take my kids they were all special ed into the bathroom and stay there with them. But those regular kids I have seen playing with "things" need I say more. The urine was everywhere. So even if you are cleaning the floors and the walls it is probably in somewhere, or on something we could never imagine. Also try vinegar. I use that for the dog urine cleanup.

I read online quite awhile ago - may have been on this site - that using Suave green apple shampoo works well. I have used it repeatedly in an elderly person's bathroom and have had good results. Just add it to your cleaning water. It removes the odor and freshens the air at the same time. And best of all, it is CHEAP!

Maybe something like this can be done to improve their aim:

ODOR BAN comes in a gallon jug and can be diluted to use in a spray bottle, or in a mop bucket. This is what is used in nursing homes to keep the odor to a minimum. You can purchase this at Walmart.

I read this post looking for advice because I'm having this problem with my "boys" (hubby & teenage son), as well as any visiting friends of my son. I can't wait to try the vinegar immediately (it's cheap & have this on hand).

P.S. Maryeileen: I was curious enough to click on the link & sure enjoyed a good laugh! Great idea! (Reminds me of putting a Cheerio in the commode water for aiming when potty training that now 13 year old son - maybe I need to do that again!) Leah

I too work as a custodian for the school district, what I have used is pure lemon juice....poured it around the base of the toilet and surrounding walls, let it set for 30 minutes then clean bathroom as usual...also put the juice in a spray bottle, used it around and in the urinals as well.

Tap-a-drop Original works great

Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomSeptember 3, 2007
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Middle School Survival Kit
Making a Middle School Survival Kit
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
A clean bathroom.
Removing Urine Odors from a Bathroom