Color That Goes with Blue

i want to add color to my blue room. I want to add something other than lime green to it, so I need a color choice and some way to bring that color into the room.

Megan

Is your room a light, medium or dark blue?

Is the room small or large?

Does the room have a lot of natural light or less?

If the room is small and not much light, go with light colors and if the room is large with a lot of light, you can use dark colors.

I'd go to a fabric store and look through the printed fabrics and choose one with the same color blue already being used and then take two preferred colors in the print that looks best and go that way. If the fabric catches your eye, it's a sign you like what you see and study that fabric and see what colors caught your attention.

Keep the rule of thumb in mind as mentioned above in choosing the right shades of two other color combinations.

(Too many colors over 3 would make the room look too busy)

Also, you could go through clothing catalogues and look for that blue and what compliments best. Usually if it wears well and compliments, you will get the same effect in the home as pillows, throws, rugs, afghans, vases, floral arrangements, utensils, appliances, dinnerware, etc. help to tie in the colors in the room.

Here's a tip I learned when I studied art: opposites are good together. The opposite of blue is orange.Depending on what shade of blue your room is you could use any shade of orange from the palest apricot to paprika. How about flowers, lampshades or pillows? Brown is also a shade of orange(add a little black to orange and you have brown) so wood accents would be good also.

You could use a lighter or darker shade of blue, or moss green depending on shade of blue. Also grey, white or small touches of dark red. Go to a paint store and get a bunch of those little color cards and mix and match until you find something you like.

Yellow & white would be pretty.

Or orange & white.

Even orange & yellow if you want really bright.

I generally use this principle: use one main color, smaller amounts of a close shade of the same color, then zings of an opposite accent color. So aqua blue, then aqua blue paler (mix with white) and then orangey-yellow, or orangey-red. I would use the red if there's plenty of light, and the yellower if there's a need of light.

I love yellow and since I can't wear that color, I love to decorate with it and yellow is beautiful with blue and so is chocolate brown.

There is a color trend right now, blue and brown. It is very attractive together. Look at some decorating magazines like "Martha Stewart Living " or any of the home decorating mags. for ideas. I like to go to Borders or Barnes and Noble, buy a coffee and flip through the mags. There is a lot you can do to change the look of a room with paint and curtains! Good luck.

Hope I'm not too late. For a very cheap & easy way to tie colors together, you could consider removable wall stickers. There are some really cute ones to chose from (on eBay, Walmart, etc.) for about $5 for a sheet of several. You could keep your larger objects in solids (walls, bedcover, etc) then use the stickers on the walls & mirror to tie the colors together easily and inexpensively. As others suggested, you could use your smaller items (lampshade, throw pillows) to tie the colors in as well. Also, the suggestions of lavender & orange sound pretty. Have fun!

Hi. I really have a small room. I want to paint it, but I want to keep it blue, a light shade of blue! I just want to know if pebble (looks a light shade of brown) would go with my light shade of blue. I really want to know. Thanks a lot.

For Danny: Yes, I think that would be a great color choice! We recently painted my son's small room in a light blue (actually called silver pebble). As you probably already know, keeping the colors light will keep the room from looking smaller. Good luck! Leah

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceAugust 28, 2007
jar of Roka Blue in cupboard
Kraft Roka Blue Spread Substitute
Blue-Green Carpet
Paint Color to Coordinate With Blue-Green Carpet
Blue Jeans
Keeping Blue Jeans Looking Like New
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
🎄