Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

How do I stop my dog's nail from bleeding after clipping too close?

By Lee from Orlando, FL

Best Answer

I always keep styptic powder or a styptic pencil on hand, that will stop it, but if you don't have that you can take the dogs nail and run it acros a dry bar of gentle soap like ivory, that will pack the nail, or use flour, baking soda, or baby powder and coat it thick to stop the bleeding.

Best Answer

Use baking soda. It really does work. Put a little in the palm of your hand, then put the dogs nail that got cut to short in to it. Leave it alone, just watch it for a minute or two to make such that it stops. Any baking soda that gets on the paw will fall off. The soda will not hurt the dog.

Dip the bleeding toenail or whatever, into flour. It will stop almost immediately. Tried and true on both our dog and our parrot.

There are powdered products such as Gimborn's Kwik-Stop that can be applied to the bleeding nail. It provides immediate clotting. But be careful, a cut that close hurts your sweet dog.

August 29, 2010 Flag

How do I stop bleeding from a toe nail clipped too short on my dog?

Terry from Kelowna, BC

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

Dab some cornstarch on it, if you have some. (07/21/2008)

By lewis_admin

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

Baby powder will also work. (07/21/2008)

By guest

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

There isn't a substitute really for something called Quick Stop. it is usually available from your vet. It works fast and you and your dog stop freaking out. (07/21/2008)

By Lady BE

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

Cornstarch or baking soda. When you clip an animal's nails it is good idea to keep a small container with some of either of these on the ready. (07/21/2008)

By Graycrab

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

This happened to me when I was clipping my English Cocker Spaniel' s nails. I call him "English Joe Cocker". Use a tiny dab of super glue. Works beautifully and dries immediately. Good luck! (07/21/2008)

By wsurfs

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

Have you considered using a Dremel with a sandpaper band to buzz them instead of chopping them? My dog has black toenails, too and of course it's impossible to see how much to chop. So now I've quicked her a time or two, and she is terrified of my merely looking at her footie.

The Dremel has become our method of choice. I tie her up short to the leg of my desk, I put down a cookie sheet with thinly scattered Parmesan cheese on it, and while she searches cheese bits I'm taking down her nails. Since they got long, we've been doing this every Saturday morning, but soon they'll be back in shape and twice a month will be fine. I make sure not to heat her nails up too much by doing four touches on each nail and then rotate to the next and the next. I'm much calmer about the whole thing. No more clattering toenails on the kitchen floor. (07/21/2008)

By kimhis

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

Dob on some cornstarch or flour if the cut is small; however, if the dog digs and gets dirt in the wound, it should be cleaned and watched for signs of infection. More flour or corn starch can be applied afterward. If the cut is deep, take your dog to a vet. This is a serious injury and the dog can bleed out. If your dog's nails haven't been cut in a while, just do small trims once a week. This will allow the quick (the part that bleeds) to slowly recede. (07/21/2008)

By SciGirl

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

If you don't want it to get infected use a septic pencil. You can pick this up to have on hand at Sally's beauty supply or you local pharmacy. It works great on small cuts on both humans and animals. (07/21/2008)

By Denise w

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

FYI - The item that you need to stop the bleeding when cutting a dog's toenails is called a "Styptic" pen rather than a septic pen as some readers have called it. (07/22/2008)

By Sally

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

At Petsmart and Petco you can buy the styptic gel which works the best on pet nails. The pens are more for use on skin when shaving. I would never cut a dog's nails without it on hand, just in case. (07/22/2008)

By Beth

Stopping Bleeding of a Dog's Nail

Goldenseal or flour works. (09/19/2008)

By RoxysMom

Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 29, 2010
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding