Improving the Flavor of Hummus

I've had all sorts of store bought hummus from homemade organic to commercially prepared and would like to know if there's anything you might suggest that would improve the flavor.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I never buy hummus from the store, but make my own.

Please send me a message through Thriftyfun, and include your email address.

I have two hummus recipes and a tahini recipe saved and will email them to you.

I love hummus, have had both commercially made and made my own. Can add any sort of vegie to it, like artichokes, jalepenos, spinach...anaything you like. Sometimes a bit of lemon juice and or grated rind will perk up the flavor.

Definitely homemade and it's quick and easy to make !!!

Here's the basic recipe I use and you can add fresh chopped basil, or chopped sun dried tomatoes, or chopped olives, etc, etc, etc to your liking/taste:

1 19 oz can chick peas, drained

1 garlic clove, minced

Juice of one lemon

Coarse salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.

I, too, make my own hummus, cooking the garbanzo beans in a crock pot, using prepared tahini, or, grinding my own sesame seeds. I add garlic, olive oil, good sea salt, and, fresh lemon...rave reviews from my friends. It really is quite easy.

I've always liked store bought hummus just fine (home made is better of course)so not sure what you need to know.

What is it specifically that you are not liking about it? Are you wanting a way to doctor store bought up to taste fresher? (if so try some lemon juice or maybe some chopped parsley?) Or are you just not liking it in general and want it to taste entirely different?

From what I remember hummus consists of chickpeas (garbanzo's to some), lemon juice, olive oil, tahini (sesame seed paste) garlic and cumin- and maybe some salt to taste if it needs it. If one of those is a taste that you aren't liking you could find a recipe and adjust to your taste.

Here's a recipe for hummus. You could just leave out the chickpeas and tahini sauce and add your canned hummus instead.

Ramadan Hummus

1 medium onion

2-3 cloves garlic

2 cans chickpeas, drained

1/3 cup tahini, sauce

2 tablespoons light soy sauce

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/2-1 cup olive oil

2 teaspoons cumin (to taste)

1. In a food processor: Chop garlic and onion.

2. Add all the remaining ingredients and process until smooth

Start adding the oil with about 1/2 cup, until you reach your consistency.

3. Spread on a platter and chill at least 1 hour. To serve, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.

* Warm pita crisps is the best spoon!

Try RAW hummus...

made with cashews instead of chickpeas.

Basically it's the same ingredients but instead use raw soaked cashews and blend them up (slowly unless you have a heavy duty blender)with the tahini, lemon juice, some olive oil, s&p, garlic, spices plus anything you want like sun-dried tomatoes.

This is a much richer version of hummus but it tastes better and is easier on the stomach. Garbonzoes make me feel bloated

add crushed garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.add a little bit of each and keep tasting a tiny bit at a time till u get the flavor u want. makes a huge difference.

I agree with the writer who suggests adding veggies if you don't like the taste of basic hummus. Roasted red peppers are my favorite. Keep in mind that any you buy in a store will have some sort of unnatural preservative.

MCW(569) could you please share those recipies with us all?

A little horseradish or Tabasco gives it a nice zip

I have found that store bought hummus has about as much flavor as cardboard. That's the problem.

Hummus from the store always has a blander taste.

Add some cumin, yum!

Add some roasted garlic chopped up

Blend in some cilantro and a jalapeno for a spicy zing!

Food and Recipes Food Tips SnacksSeptember 5, 2008
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
smiley faces drawn on toes.
Putting Yourself in a Better Mood
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Photo of homemade hummus.
Homemade Hummus Recipes