Getting a Pet Rabbit

I have a female rabbit that lives outside in our homemade rabbit hutch. It is at least 8-10 foot long and can house two rabbits. I am thinking about getting another rabbit, maybe when it warms up a little more. But I don't know what kind or gender.

I am not breeding my female. She's getting to the age where she shouldn't be bred. I am also not planning on putting them together. They can still smell each other and stuff, because the screen and a door is between them. What kind of rabbit, gender, and age do you think would be good? I am thinking a younger one would be good so that they would get used to being held.

By Des

I would definitely advise getting another rabbit, because rabbits are communal animals, especially since the one you have is separated from you most of the time. They will snuggle and groom each other and then, eventually, become a bonded pair.

There are definitely some tricks to introducing them, though and I suggest you read up on it a bit. Oh, also, be sure to have them spayed and/or neutered. It will extend the life of your current female by many years and may help with potential behavioral problems down the road.

OK, where can I find a breeder near me. I don't know about getting a rabbit from a pet store because there not use to being outside and I don't know how healthy they are and they cant hardly sex them either at the pet stores. Thanks!

Get another female. You will drive the male crazy and he may hurt himself. If you look in your paper or classified magazine (in NY we have Want Ad Digest) you will probably be able to find a breeder.

Be careful when introducing a new rabbit. You should know that your female may not take well to another rabbit regardless if it is male or female. Female rabbits tend to be territorial of their cages/hutches. Do not just put them in a cage together. Introduce them in a neutral area, a bathtub works well because in case they don't get along, it's hard for them to walk/run on in case they try to attack each other. You should also look into spaying/neutering them.