Browsing: Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads

Make Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads

After reading about the shrunken wool for refill pads for the Swiffer Wet Jet Mop, I thought I'd share how I economize for the Clorox Ready Mop. For pad replacements, I use old cloth diapers (I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the diapers after my kids were potty-trained).

Just fold them to fit and poke them into the gripper tops of the mop base. When dirty, just toss in the washer. For refilling the cleaner, fill part way with Windex (or the great econo-mix recently posted with water, Windex, ammonia, and vinegar!) and top off with water. For wood floors, I have a second bottle, that I fill with vinegar and water.

By Tina

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I have done this with those crocheted dish rags my mom in law made for me they have just enough texture to them for scrubbing the scuff marks up. I get the heavy duty floor cleaner from the SmartNFinal and water it down a bit to stretch it.

Some other ideas I have seen on older posts was to use old baby onesies and snap right over the mop head. Toss in washer when done.

Crochet a rag that is the same size as the mop pads and you can wash and reuse those as well.

I buy inexpensive window cleaner because my kids love to do the mopping, but use a little too much to turn around and buy those mop refill bottles. They just spray the area they are mopping and wipe down.

I also look at Walmart and Fred Meyer for their clearance racks for opened packages of those mop pads. I don't ever care what brand I get. If it doesn't fit my mop I still use it.

I buy 6 pads of scrubby dishcloths at Walmart for less than 3.00. One side is terry cloth the other side a light nylon mesh. It is the perfect size and not to bulky to poke in the attachment holes. If you put the nylon mesh facing the floor it makes the mop easily glide over the floors when you are mopping, easily removes any sticky gunk and won't scracth the surface of the floor. I have tried flannel but when it gets wet it is hard to push the mop and I had to keep sticking it back in the holes because it kept getting pulled out.

I use the blue shop towels. They can be found at walmart and come on a roll like paper towels but they are much thicker and sturdier. Each towel usually lasts a day or 2, at least. I use a big a dark green pot scrubber pad for scuff marks and the "clean mop" for getting greasy floors clean after cooking. I just plop the scrubber on top of the scuff and use mop to scrub. One scrubber last for months The windex mixture works well. No rinsing.

* Hint: keep these shop towels hidden from your hubby. They love to use these.

Also keep a roll of the shop towels in the car . They are very useful & soft too . I like them for emergency wound care ,they hold ice for a Long time without breaking up & are extremely gentle when cleaning scrapes & scratches .

I regard a package of wet wipes as an absolute

car necessity too for the same reaons except the ice.

& in the house I've used Them for cleaning crud off various surfaces in the house . The refill packs are Loads cheaper than the fancy Household clean up wipes & the stuff in them is safer for skin contact .

I also needed to know if anyone else is having trouble with the clorox mixture for the clorox ready mop is making anyone else's floors dull after mopping with the solution?

thanks

herry

I love the idea of using old diapers, I too cannot part with them, swiffer are pads are on my shopping list! Off to try this instead! Thanks!

I buy the microfiber cleaning cloths at the dollar store. They work great. I cut small enough to fit (they are a little big) with enough left to just tuck in so it is snug, and use the leftover piece for dusting etc.

Don't put ammonia or windex in the clorox bottle unless it's empty and rinsed clean. Ammonia and bleach will produce poisonous fumes that damage your lungs.

I use the recipe from this site to make a Green and safe refill for my Clorox ReadyMop. The vinegar makes the cleaner not streak on laminate flooring, and gives it a little shine; plus it is safe for people and pets, and it is also a great window cleaner.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/the-best-window-cleaner.html

With a previous poster stating that the Clorox Readymop solution killed her cat and sickened another, I am glad that I have been using an alternative. Thank you for letting us know about that!

RE: Make Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads

By beamersquared (Guest Post)

Posted on 09/07/2007

______________________________________________________

In this town there is Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar; which Dollar store has the cleaning cloths described in the top post by beamersquared?

Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
Make Your Own CleaningMay 7, 2004
Steam Mop
Using a Steam Mop
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
spray bottle
Homemade "Clorox Cleanup" Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:43:04 AM on 10.0.2.28 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.